Second Annual "Rockies Honor Robinson" Youth Artistic Contest
Please tell us what "Breaking Barriers" means to you by participating in The Second Annual "Rockies Honor Robinson" Youth Artistic Contest!
Download the application »
(Adobe Acrobate Reader required)
This year we celebrate the 61st anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in Major League Baseball. On April 15, 1947, Jackie Robinson of the Brooklyn Dodgers played in his first Major League game. As he crossed the foul line onto the field, he became not only the first African-American player in modern Major League Baseball history, but a beacon of hope and inspiration to Americans from all corners of our country. In recognition of his efforts and in celebration of Black History Month, the Colorado Rockies are proud to sponsor the Second Annual "Rockies Honor Robinson" Youth Artistic Contest for elementary, middle and high school students in the Denver area.
The theme of the contest is "Breaking Barriers" and students can submit anything artistic to describe what breaking barriers means to them; entries can be anything artistic, such as poetry, music, art or even a video presentation of dance or drama. The students can focus on Jackie Robinson or something they have experience in their personal lives that applies to the theme of breaking barriers.
How the contest works:
Each student who submits an entry will receive four tickets to the Rockies game on Saturday, May 3rd. Each school will select their top three entries which they will send to us to compete with other top entries from other participating schools for prizes that include VIP tickets for the artists' families to the May 3rd game and participation in a pregame onfield ceremony.
Students: Applicants must be enrolled in elementary or middle school.
1. Create any type of art reflecting what "Breaking Barriers" means to you. (Art can include poetry, music, art, or even a video presentation of dance or drama.)
2. Turn it into your teacher by March 28, 2008 and you will receive four tickets to the Saturday, May 3rd Rockies game versus the Los Angeles Dodgers just for participating.
3. If your school chooses your art as one of their top three, it will be sent to the Colorado Rockies and judged along with the best three entries from all other participating schools.
4. The "Winning Entries" will be chosen from all "top three" entries submitted; if you are one of these winners, a Rockies representative will contact you during the week of April 21, 2008. Best of all, the winning artists will be recognized in an onfield ceremony before the May 3rd game and their families will receive VIP tickets for that game! GOOD LUCK!
Contest Guidelines for school teachers and/or administrators:
1. Collect all entries by March 28, 2008 and make your selection of the best three entries representing your school;
2. Fill out the application below and attach to each of the three best entries;
3. Send these three entries with attached applications to the following address by April 7, 2008: Colorado Rockies Baseball Club, Attn: Youth Artistic Contest, 2001 Blake Street, Denver, CO 80205.
4. Please also email Marisol Villagomez at firstname.lastname@example.org with the total number of participating students from your school because each student will receive four complimentary tickets to the May 3rd game; we will ship your total tickets to the designated school contact for distribution during the week of April 28th. Thank you and please don't hesitate to call with any questions.
Contacts: Sarah Topf or Marisol Villagomez, (303) 292-0200