Target Field touches all bases with food and beverage04/01/2010 1:05 PM ET
MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL, Minn. -- The Minnesota Twins and food service partner Delaware North Sportservice today announced several additional regional brands and food items paying tribute to Twins greats at Target Field.
Tony O's Cuban Sandwiches, jointly developed by Tony Oliva, the Twins and Sportservice, will be served at two concessions carts at Target Field. The sandwiches feature ham and roasted pork with Swiss cheese and other ingredients on Cuban bread.
Killebrew Root Beer, both a regional brand and a product named to honor the Twins slugger, will be served at Target Field concessions and restaurants and also used to make root beer (ice cream) floats. Ken Killebrew developed the old fashioned root beer "with the Hall of Fame taste¡¨ in the 1990s from a recipe his father used to make using Minnesota honey.
"Incorporating food and beverage concepts that honor great players in Minnesota Twins history was something we set out to do, and I think with the addition of Killebrew Root Beer and Tony O's Cuban Sandwiches, we have accomplished that,¡¨ Twins President Dave St. Peter said. "This is another way Target Field is celebrating the proud history of the franchise, which marks 50 years in Minnesota this season.¡¨
Other previously unannounced local favorites at Target Field include:
- Land O'Lakes soft-serve ice cream will be served at North Shore Creamery and TC Treats locations. Land O' Lakes is a popular national brand born in Minnesota.
- Blue Bunny novelty ice cream treats, made in LeMars, Iowa, will be served at Target Field. Blue Bunny, made by Wells' Dairy Inc., is the largest family-owned and managed dairy processing company in the United States.
- Angie's Kettle Corn will be available inside Target Field and will be freshly roasted on Target Plaza on game days. Angie's was founded by Dan and Angie Bastian in 2001 when they started making and selling their kettle corn at events around Minnesota. Their family-owned company is based in North Mankato, Minn.
In recent weeks, the Twins and Sportservice have announced a number of other regional and Twin Cities food concepts available at Target Field:
- Schweigert meats, a Minnesota-made brand with roots in Minneapolis is providing the four hot dog offerings at Target Field.
- The Vincent Burger, announced earlier this week, will be served at all six Hennepin Grille stands at Target Field. Made with Angus beef and stuffed with braised short rib and smoked gouda cheese, the gourmet burger is an award-winning menu favorite at Vincent - A Restaurant, an acclaimed contemporary French restaurant in downtown Minneapolis.
- Murray's Steak Sandwich, inspired by the signature sandwich from the iconic downtown Minneapolis steakhouse, will be served at multiple Mill City Grill concession locations throughout the ballpark. The Murray's steak sandwich at Target Field will be made with choice sirloin steak, provolone cheese and served on a fresh ciabatta roll from Minneapolis's Franklin Street Bakery.
- Kramarczuk's bratwurst, Polish and Hungarian sausages will be made fresh daily just one mile from Target Field and served at two concession carts at Target Field. Kramarczuk's Sausage Company has been a family-owned Northeast institution for more than 55 years.
- The Loon Cafe's Pecos River Red Chili - made with lean cubed sirloin steak, onions, chili peppers and Tex-Mex spices - will be served at the three Halsey's Sausage Haus locations throughout at Target Field. The Loon has been a warehouse district favorite since 1981.
- J.D. Hoyt's has provided the inspiration for a variation of its famous grilled Cajun pork chop, which will be available at the State Fair Classics stands at Target Field. J.D. Hoyt's 5 oz. grilled Cajun pork chop, rubbed in Hoyt's special seasoning, is seared and then slow cooked over hickory smoked fire. J.D. Hoyt's has been a staple of downtown Minneapolis since 1983.
In addition, the Twins and Sportservice have announced that Minneapolis-based Caribou Coffee will be served at Target Field, as will Twins' spring training favorite Michelbob's Championship Ribs of Naples, Fla.
The concession stands at Target Field are branded with nine different themes, each with specific menu highlights. Three of the concession themes pay tribute to Twins greats: pitcher Frank Viola (Frankie V's Italian), broadcaster Halsey Hall (Halsey's Sausage Haus) and pitcher Juan Berenguer (Senor Smoke's). Highlights include:
- Mill City Grill - Featuring the signature Murray's Steak Sandwich and walleye fingers
- Hennepin Grille - The Vincent Burger and other burgers, hot dogs, fries, chicken tenders
- Frankie V's Italian - A variety of pizza, calzones, and an Italian chopped salad
- North Shore Creamery - Land O' Lakes soft-serve ice cream, Twins helmet sundaes
- Halsey's Sausage Haus - Loon Cafe Chili, Lunds and Byerly's Wild Rice Soup, Italian and Polish sausage and jumbo hot dogs
- Senor Smoke's - From Juan's home country of Panama we will feature empanadas and other regional favorites such as nachos, burritos and tacos
- Taste of Twins Territory - Beer-steamed brats, jumbo hot dogs and pretzels
- State Fair Classics - Walleye on-a-spike, J.D. Hoyt's pork chop on-a-stick, Michelbob's ribs, Veggie kabobs and cheese curds
- Twins Brews - Craft and premium selections from Minnesota and regional breweries, including Summit, Schells, Grainbelt, Finnegans, Leinie's and Michelob.
Beyond the extensive concessions offerings in the concourses, all fans will have access to two full-service restaurants at Target Field.
- Hrbek's will be open prior to and during all Twins home games. The restaurant is located behind home plate in the main concourse and will feature pub fare such as the Rex Burger, a one-half pound, all-beef burger stuffed with caramelized onions and pepper jack cheese, served on a brioche roll. Another tip of the cap to Hrbek will be Bloomington onion rings: sweet yellow onions seasoned, breaded, crispy-fried and served with a tangy campfire and ranch dipping sauce.
- The Town Ball Tavern, themed after Minnesota's strong amateur baseball tradition, will feature Target Field's own Juicy Lucy with the cheese inside the burger, the Southpaw Walleye Sandwich, Twin Towns Turkey Sandwich, Give ¡¥Em the Heater Nachos and the Double Dipper Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip. The Town Ball Tavern is located behind the left field foul pole on the Club Level.
"We hope fans are excited about the array of food and beverage that Sportservice has worked with the Twins and our local partners to have at Target Field, especially many menu items with Minnesota ties,¡¨ said Pete Spike, general manager for Sportservice, the exclusive food service and retail partner of the Twins at Target Field.
Fans can learn more about Target Field's concession and dining offerings at www.TasteOfTwinsTerritory.com.
About Delaware North Companies Sportservice Delaware North Companies Sportservice is one of the nation's leading food, beverage and retail management companies, providing concessions, gourmet catering and fine dining operations at more than 50 professional sporting venues, entertainment complexes and convention centers across the United States and Canada. Sportservice has served an impressive collection of sporting events and clients, including the World Series, the National Hockey League and Major League Baseball's All-Star Games, Stanley Cup Championships and the Olympic Games.
For more than 90 years, Sportservice has demonstrated that it knows what it takes to effectively develop, operate and manage multi-faceted kitchens, restaurants, suites, fine dining and retail facilities in order to meet the changing demands of today's fans. From introducing new healthy, organic food selections and creative cuisine for twists on the traditional fare, Sportservice continues to innovate and enhance the fan experience. For more information about Sportservice or parent company Delaware North Companies, visit www.DelawareNorth.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.