|© 2008 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.|
Mets sign Fernando Tatis to a one-year contract10/30/2008 7:03 PM ET
FLUSHING, N.Y., October 30, 2008 -- Fernando Tatis, who was named the National League Comeback Player-of-the-Year this season, today signed a one-year contract with the New York Mets. Terms were not disclosed.
Tatis, 33, who hit .297 with 16 doubles, one triple, 11 home runs and 47 RBI for the Mets separated his right shoulder diving for a double by Nationals' pitcher Odalis Perez in the fifth inning on September 16th at Washington. Fernando underwent an MRI the next day and the test revealed a Grade 3 shoulder separation.
"I feel fine now," said Tatis, whose contract was selected from New Orleans (AAA) of the Pacific Coast League on May 13th. "I didn't need surgery and I will be ready to go in the spring."
For the Mets, Tatis made 35 starts in rightfield, 28 in leftfield, two at third base and one at first base.
"Fernando got so many key hits for us last year," said Mets' General Manager Omar Minaya. "Not having him the last few weeks of the season certainly hurt. His versatility certainly makes us a better team."
In 2008, Fernando hit .392 (29-74) with men in scoring position. He also compiled a .311 mark (33-106) against lefthanded pitching.
Tatis's Sporting News Comeback Player-of-the-Year Award was voted on by 314 current major league players, 18 managers and 41 General Managers and Assistant General Managers.
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Mets Homepage | MLB.com