New York Mets media relations guru Jay Horwitz has become notorious for abnormally frequent pocket dials from his phone, and the fun often leaks to his Twitter account (@Jay_Horwitz) as well. Such gems as “Hy,” “O” and “CdXxXxXx” have provided ample material for those who like to tease the man who has worked in baseball since 1980.
Not to be lost in the hilarity of his missteps, Jay’s Twitter account, created earlier this year, has become a must-follow – not just for Mets fans, but for all baseball fans. Jay combines a myriad of experiences over the last 34 years with a brilliant sense of humor.
Here are 10 of his best tweets to date:
10) We have to start the list with a vintage Jay faux pas. #TweetYoSelf
9) This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of Jay posting pictures of himself.
My Bar Mitzvah picture. Pretty much look the same as when I was 13. twitter.com/Jay_HorwitzPR/…— Jay Horwitz (@Jay_HorwitzPR) February 16, 2013
8) You’ve got to admire a man who will risk life and limb, all in the name of comedy.
Nearing anniversary when I drove my car into a ditch. Thinking of recreating scene in two days. Hoping to get a spot on SportsCenter.— Jay Horwitz (@Jay_HorwitzPR) February 7, 2013
7) The judges gave him a friendly 2.5 on the landing. You wouldn’t believe how hard it was to only pick 10 of these tweets.
Was on DL last year with bum ankle. Looking to appove my sliding skills this spring. Hoping to make over 65 WBC team. is.gd/zNmN9U— Jay Horwitz (@Jay_HorwitzPR) January 25, 2013
6) This was a continuation of a frequent storyline, Jay recalling all the pranks pulled on him over the years – most courtesy of John Franco.
John Franco called and reminded mehow he used to hide soft ice cream sandwiches in my bag that melted all over my papers.How did I forget.— Jay Horwitz (@Jay_HorwitzPR) March 4, 2013
5) Instead of merely promoting an online chat with Captain America with a tweet, Jay added a little flavor by squeezing into No. 5’s uniform (again) and taking a picture.
4) If you still haven’t followed Jay on Twitter, you probably should at this point.
In case you can't open video,Bucky is wishing his boss Captain America luck tomorrow against the Dominican Republic. twitter.com/Jay_HorwitzPR/…— Jay Horwitz (@Jay_HorwitzPR) March 13, 2013
3) Jay may not have tweeted this one himself, but leaving this picture off the list would be a great injustice.
2) Not all of Jay’s humor is self-deprecating. He’ll pull one over on you from time to time.
Mets to have annual media training session tomorrow. Kate Upton to appear. twitter.com/Jay_HorwitzPR/…— Jay Horwitz (@Jay_HorwitzPR) February 18, 2013
Change. Kate Upton cancelled. She thought I was from the BravesWe got Carrot Topinstead.Also session is Wed. twitter.com/Jay_HorwitzPR/…— Jay Horwitz (@Jay_HorwitzPR) February 18, 2013
1) Jay has a laundry list of pocket dial confessions in his Twitter timeline. Hitting your big boss three times in one evening has to take the cake.
Took pocket dialing to a new level lastnight. Got Mets COO Jeff Wilpon three times at home. I guess he goes to top of list. Help me.— Jay Horwitz (@Jay_HorwitzPR) March 1, 2013