video thumbnail

BOS@CLE: Red Sox players react to Boston tragedy

More than 600 miles away from Fenway Park, more than 24 hours after bombs exploded at the finish line of the Boston Marathon nearby, the Red Sox played baseball Tuesday.

By the time the top of the second inning ended, the Sox had scored seven runs. They defeated the Indians, 7-2.

Baseball has a way of soothing the mind and hearts of many, and as the Red Sox get back to Progressive Field for Wednesday's game against the Indians, those watching back in Boston might be able to turn their focus away from tragedy.

"Given the events and the tragedy of yesterday, this was a good way to send some positive energy back toward Boston," Red Sox manager John Farrell said after Tuesday's win. "Given what's taken place, this was fresh on everyone's mind. Even though we might not be in Boston right now, we carry this with us. We feel very much a part of the city of Boston, the community and everything that goes on there. We have not forgotten by any means."

Not lost in the shuffle was Terry Francona's first time managing against the Red Sox since leaving Boston. Francona won 744 games with the Sox, posting a .574 winning percentage.

Before losing to his former team Tuesday, Francona said he's not making much of the reunion.

"I'm sure when we go back to Fenway it'll bring back a lot of special memories and a lot of thoughts, but we're in Cleveland and this is my home, and the home team," Francona said. "It's not just another series, but at the same time, it's not like I woke up this morning and it's all I thought about."

Justin Masterson, who came up through the Red Sox's farm system before being traded to Cleveland as part of the deal for Victor Martinez in 2009, will look to become the first pitcher to go 4-0 this season.

He's one of seven pitchers, including former teammate Clay Buchholz, who is off to a 3-0 start.

After posting a career-worst 4.93 ERA with a career-high 15 losses last season, Masterson has a 0.41 ERA with 20 strikeouts to eight walks in 22 innings in 2013.

"I know what happened last year," Francona said after Masterson's complete-game shutout on Friday, "but whenever I've seen Masty in a Cleveland uniform, that's what I've seen. Whenever we faced him, it was the 95 [mph] with some ride. Right now, though, he's just throwing everything, and it's for strikes."

Alfredo Aceves, who has been filling in for the injured John Lackey, will make his second start since 2011.

Aceves threw 79 pitches in his first start against the Orioles last week, allowing two runs in five innings. He's been a little erratic at times, allowing three home runs with a 6.75 ERA, but he's still managed to strikeout nine batters in 9 1/3 innings.

Red Sox: Napoli heating up
After last Wednesday's 8-5 loss to the Orioles, new Red Sox first baseman Mike Napoli was hitting .176. He's since collected a hit in each of the team's five games. He even smacked two doubles in one inning during Tuesday's win.

Napoli has raised his average to .236 while hitting four doubles and driving in seven runs in his last five games.

"Yeah, it's a feeling of how I'm hitting the ball," Napoli said this past weekend. "When I'm on time, I have that rhythm that tells me I'm on time. I definitely feel that where I'll start going off.

"I think sometimes it's just a process. It's me staying disciplined in batting practice, not hitting homers in batting practice, really work on staying in on the ball. It's not fun, but it's what gets me right."

Indians: Santana to the No. 3 spot
With Jason Kipnis resting a sore left elbow, Carlos Santana got his first start out of the No. 3 spot on Tuesday and went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and four runners left on base.

Francona had said before the season he hoped to take some offensive pressure off his catcher by moving him lower in the order. Most of this season, Santana has been hitting sixth, where he's hit .500 (12-for-24) with four doubles and two home runs.

In 209 career at-bats out of the three-hole, Santana has hit .234 with seven home runs.

Worth noting
• Cord Phelps was promoted from Triple-A Columbus to provide infield depth with Kipnis on the bench. Catcher Omir Santos was sent back to Columbus to make room. Mike Aviles got the start at second base Tuesday.

• Indians outfielder Michael Bourn will be placed on the 15-day disabled list at some point over the next few days after hurting his right index finger sliding head-first into first base on Sunday.

• Former first-round Draft pick Scott Kazmir is expected to make his Indians debut on Saturday against the Astros.

• The Red Sox placed closer Joel Hanrahan on the 15-day disabled list with a right hamstring strain and recalled knuckleballer Steven Wright from Triple-A Pawtucket. Andrew Bailey will continue to close in Hanrahan's absence.

MLB.com Comments