When Kevin Gausman received the news on Tuesday, he had a tough time wrapping his head around the idea. The 22-year-old Orioles prospect was informed that he would be making his first Major League start on Thursday against the Blue Jays in Toronto, and it took until Wednesday for the news to really sink in.
"I don't think it really hit me until today, until my second flight here from Atlanta," Gausman said. "Then I just kind of was thinking, you know, 'Wow, I'm really here. It's crazy.'"
Gausman was the fourth overall pick in last year's First-Year Player Draft, and MLB.com lists him as the Orioles' No. 2 prospect. He was called up to take the place of Jair Jurrjens, who was optioned on Tuesday after allowing four runs in his only start of the year.
In eight starts this season with Double-A Bowie, Gausman is 2-4 with a 3.11 ERA. His last outing before the promotion came on Friday, when he struck out a career-high 10 batters.
The callup might have come earlier than expected, but with the O's rotation struggling -- Gausman will be Baltimore's 11th starter this season -- and top pitching prospect Dylan Bundy injured, the LSU product will get his first experience in a big league game on Thursday.
"Obviously, it's going to be really exciting," Gausman said. "I try and not think about it too much -- just go out there and keep doing what you're doing and throw strikes."
Toronto will send another former top-five pick, Brandon Morrow, to the mound to take on the young Gausman. The 28-year-old right-hander is set to make his second start since being scratched twice with soreness in his upper back and neck earlier this month.
Morrow pitched relatively well in his return on Saturday before being undone by a pair of Robinson Cano home runs. He threw five innings, allowing five runs on seven hits. Manager John Gibbons was happy with Morrow's performance and said he should forget about Cano's homers.
"The thing about Brandon, he's got dominating stuff," Gibbons said. "When he's on, he can shut you down. We feel good any time he steps on the mound, too."
Blue Jays: Gose makes first start
Two days after being called up from Triple-A Buffalo, outfielder Anthony Gose made his first start of the year on Wednesday against the Rays.
In his second overall appearance of the season, Gose went 1-for-4 and scored a run. He took Melky Cabrera's spot at the top of the order and in left field with fly-ball pitcher Mark Buehrle on the mound.
"With Melky's legs, he hasn't been running particularly well; he's been victimized by some balls out there," Gibbons said.
Orioles: Reimold not traveling to Toronto
When the O's embark on a six-game road trip starting Thursday in Toronto, left fielder Nolan Reimold will stay in Baltimore to see a physical therapist.
Reimold hasn't played since May 11 because of a strained right hamstring; two MRIs were performed to confirm the injury. He was placed on the 15-day disabled list on May 18, retroactive to May 12. He will be eligible to return on Tuesday, though manager Buck Showalter said that's unlikely.
"I'm hoping he can start taking some batting practice while we're gone, but not until he's 100 percent with his leg," Showalter said. "He can do some things hitting that won't jeopardize it. But this is a little unique where he is with his things. ... The work that he has to get done should get done [in Baltimore]."
• Adam Jones started at DH on Wednesday while dealing with soreness in his groin, though he could return to center field in Toronto.
• The Blue Jays enter the weekend series against the division-rival Orioles with a 10-18 record against the American League East.
Jeremy Warnemuende is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.