07/13/2003 3:01 PM ET
Giles to miss All-Star Game
CHICAGO -- After consulting with friends and medical officials, Marcus Giles decided early Sunday afternoon that he will not play in Tuesday's All-Star Game at U.S. Cellular Field.
By Mark Bowman / MLB.com
Giles, who had been elected the National League's starting second baseman, suffered a minor concussion during a collision with fellow All-Star Mark Prior on Friday afternoon. The Braves' 25-year-old second baseman was released from Illinois Masonic Hospital later that evening and was in good spirits when he arrived at Wrigley Field on Saturday.
Major League Baseball replaced Giles with Marlins second baseman Luis Castillo, who entered Sunday hitting .314 with 14 stolen bases and 26 RBIs. Expos second baseman Jose Vidro, who has a .331 batting average with 11 homers and 47 RBIs, will likely replace Giles in the starting lineup.
Manager Bobby Cox and many of his players said on Saturday that it would be a shame if Giles' injury prevented him from playing in his first All-Star Game. The gritty second baseman has shown dramatic improvement both defensively and at the plate this season.
After going through a three-week slump, Giles has rebounded recently and got his batting average back to .291. He has eight homers, 29 doubles and a .466 slugging percentage.
"He deserves to play in the game and he deserves to start," Braves utility player Mark DeRosa said on Saturday.
Javy Lopez and Gary Sheffield will now be the Braves' representatives in Tuesday's starting lineup. Other Braves joining those two on the National League team will be Rafael Furcal, Andruw Jones, Russ Ortiz and John Smoltz.
Mark Bowman is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.