Selig: No qualms with any drug findings
He wants 'everyone to tell everything they know' to Mitchell
DENVER -- Commissioner Bud Selig said on Saturday night prior to Game 3 of the World Series at Coors Field that he didn't fear the results of the investigation into Major League Baseball's steroid era being run by former Senator George Mitchell."I don't look at it that way," said Selig, answering questions about how negatively any new revelations might affect Major League Baseball. "I'm very comfortable where we are. We have the toughest drug-testing program in sports. I told you a year ago March [when the Mitchell committee was formed] that I never wanted anybody to say we were trying to hide anything. I don't have anything to hide. None of us do. "I want it to be said at some point that we dealt with everything forthrightly." Selig also reiterated previous statements that he still hopes the report will be released by the end of the year. "Only he'll determine that," Selig said about Mitchell, who is a director of the Red Sox as well as chairman of The Walt Disney Co., the parent of ESPN. "Will I see it before it comes out? I'm not sure. I doubt that I will. That was one of his conditions. He writes the report and that's it. I might have a few hours to digest it, but otherwise nobody will see it." Mitchell was charged by Selig 18 months ago with investigating what actually happened in baseball from 1998 to the present in regard to Major League players using performance-enhancing drugs. He received belated cooperation from ownership in his investigation earlier this year, but has had little help from the players, who have denied access to medical records and largely have declined to be interviewed by the committee. Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi, who was threatened with suspension for commenting publicly about his use of steroids, is the only known active player to have spoken with Mitchell, and that was under strict guidelines devised among Giambi, his agent, his attorney, MLB and the Players Association. Five players recently have been named in an Albany, N.Y., investigation into the sale of performance-enhancing drugs either through a pharmacy doing business via the Internet or rejuvenation clinics in the south: the Cardinals' Rick Ankiel, the Orioles' Jay Gibbons, the Mets' Scott Schoeneweis, the Blue Jays' Troy Glaus and the Indians' Paul Byrd. Glaus met with MLB officials about the matter last month, following the lead of Ankiel and Gibbons. Gary Matthews Jr. of the Angels also was named in the probe back in February.
Selig was interviewed by Mitchell's committee in July just after the All-Star Game, and Saturday night he continued to ask others to follow that lead."You bet I was [interviewed], and I want everyone to be," Selig said. "I want everyone to tell everything they know, not because of the gossip, but because long after I'm gone somebody else in this position may learn something." Selig said he certainly wasn't worried about new names being revealed in the report, although he said again that it is only an assumption that Mitchell might mention players who have used performance-enhancing drugs in the past. "Will there be a backlash [from fans] against it? I don't know that," he said. "There may or the may not be. Remember, it depends on if it all happened before drug testing was instituted" in 2003. Asked what he would do with the results of the report and whether there might be any punitive repercussions, Selig said: "Well, I don't know. Let me see the report first before we come to that."
Barry M. Bloom is a national reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.