Foot injury forces Quentin to DL
White Sox recall Wise from Minors rehab assignment
KANSAS CITY -- The White Sox decided not to wait until their return home Monday to make a decision on Carlos Quentin and his sore left foot.
Quentin, 26, was placed on the 15-day disabled list prior to Friday night's series opener at Kauffman Stadium, a move made retroactive to May 26. Quentin is suffering from plantar fasciitis, an injury that already has cost him a week's worth of games in 2009, and he exited Monday's contest against the Angels in the first inning when he felt a pop in his foot while making the turn at first base on a run-scoring double.
Manager Ozzie Guillen said the team made the call because Quentin wasn't healthy enough to help at this point, and Guillen didn't want to get caught one player short this weekend when facing the Royals.
"That decision is the right decision -- to give him plenty of time to recover, to give him some time to relax and just think about the injury, not think about being in the lineup," said Guillen of Quentin. "It's going to work out for the ballclub and for him."
With Quentin out of action, the White Sox got back outfielder Dewayne Wise from his injury rehabilitation assignment for Triple-A Charlotte and reinstated him from the 15-day disabled list. Wise suffered a separated right shoulder while making a spectacular diving catch to save two runs during a victory in Detroit on April 13.
Wise was hitting .238 in seven games this season with the White Sox. He finished 4-for-12 in three rehab games with the Knights. Guillen didn't start Wise on Friday against Brian Bannister, but he plans to get him into the starting lineup this weekend.
Guillen was impressed by Wise's quick return to big league action.
"Especially with that injury," Guillen said. "That's not easy, but he worked hard, did the right thing and he never missed a day. He did everything I asked him to do, and that's why he was ahead of the injury."
"Personally, I thought I was going down there for the road trip," said Wise of his rehab assignment, where he served as designated hitter one game and played the outfield twice. "Then that one game when I saw Carlos come out of the first inning, there was word floating around down there that I could be getting out of there in the last series. I just wanted to make sure I got my at-bats and it felt good swinging."
This next week or so could be important for Wise, Brian Anderson and Scott Podsednik, with one of them potentially not only losing playing time upon Quentin's return, but possibly a roster spot. Then again, the White Sox could choose to keep all three even with Quentin back, with the roster move coming from the infield. Wise, Jayson Nix and Wilson Betemit are all out of Minor League options.
When Quentin's time on the disabled list is done -- he's eligible to come off it June 10 -- Guillen believes the All-Star left fielder currently hitting .229 with eight home runs and 20 RBIs will be able to immediately help the team. Quentin might have to battle through residual soreness, but as he said previously, it's an injury that doesn't seem to affect him while hitting.
"Hopefully, when he comes back, he's 100 percent," said Guillen. "You have to learn how to play with soreness because you will play every day. When you play every day, you'll be sore. But it's hard to play when you're in pain. It's two different things when you're sore and playing in pain. I think Carlos was in pain for all this month, and that's why it was hard for him to perform."
"I talked to Carlos and he's bummed out, but he's doing everything he can to get better," Anderson said. "He was trying to explain [the injury] to me and I was still kind of lost. I know it was causing him so much pain he couldn't play."
Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.