Harang has emergency surgery
Reds starter undergoes appendectomy, lost for season
PITTSBURGH -- During a season in which the Reds can't seem to catch a break injury-wise, the latest player forced out of action is their four-time Opening Day starter -- and it wasn't even due to an on-field ailment.Aaron Harang underwent an emergency appendectomy late Saturday night and is out for the season. "It's kind of been our year," an incredulous manager Dusty Baker said when informing the media of the news. "You get one guy back, and ... You get [third baseman Scott Rolen] back and then you lose Harang ... This is beyond ridiculous here." Harang becomes the ninth Reds player currently on the disabled list, the fifth from the Opening Day roster. He also is the seventh member of the club to undergo surgery this season. His surgery, which Baker said was successful, was performed by Dr. Joann Lohr at The Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati. "He's not supposed to do anything for three weeks," Baker said. Harang, who finished fourth in the National League Cy Young Award balloting in 2007 and led the league in wins and strikeouts in 2006, woke up Saturday morning in Pittsburgh in sharp pain. He was examined early Saturday afternoon and it was determined that the appendectomy was necessary but that his appendix was not in imminent danger of bursting. That allowed Harang to travel back home to Cincinnati so he could be near family for the procedure. Not wanting to risk problems while in the air, Harang was driven back to Cincinnati early Saturday evening by clubhouse manager Rick Stowe. Harang has won 65 games over the past six seasons for the Reds and had started at least 28 games each season during that span. He was 6-14 with a 4.21 ERA and a team-high 142 strikeouts in 162 1/3 innings (26 starts) this season. Harang was in line to start Wednesday's game in Milwaukee. Baker had not yet determined who will now pitch against the Brewers that day. "I'm trying to figure that out now," he said. "We're just kicking some things around." The Reds had already announced that Rolen would be activated from the 15-day disabled list in time for Sunday's game against the Pirates. Rolen, whom the Reds acquired in a trade with the Toronto Blue Jays in a Trade Deadline deal on July 31, was hit in the head by a pitch two days later and sustained a concussion. Rolen was in the lineup batting fifth Sunday against the Pirates. Harang becomes the third member of the Reds' rotation on the disabled list -- the second, along with Edinson Volquez, to be lost for the season. And the injury bug hasn't been limited only to the pitchers. Baker has used 102 different lineups in 123 games this season.
Chris Adamski is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.