Getz set to begin rehab stint in Minors
White Sox missing second baseman's defense, lefty bat
BOSTON -- Chris Getz will begin a Minor League rehab assignment on Wednesday with Triple-A Charlotte, as the White Sox second baseman puts his strained right oblique muscle to the next test.
"We'll see how the body responds and go from there," said Getz, who last played on Aug. 11 at Seattle. "Hopefully it will just take a few days."
Getz has been taking infield and hitting, adding on Monday that he will be doing some more running to get into full playing shape.
"So far, so good," said Getz of how the injury has responded to the recent on-field work.
Manager Ozzie Guillen mentioned prior to the series opener against Boston as to how Getz will return to the starting lineup as soon as he is physically ready. The White Sox skipper pointed out how the team is "very righty" without Getz, with Scott Podsednik, Jim Thome and A.J. Pierzynski representing the only left-handed hitters against the Red Sox.
Getz also brings speed, defense and the ability to execute the little things that every division champion needs to find success. Those sort of under-the-radar skills don't get quite as much attention as the overall run production of Gordon Beckham, a deserved front-runner for the 2009 American League Rookie of the Year.
"This kid brings a lot of good things for the ballclub, a lot," Guillen said of Getz. "A lot of people talk about Gordon, and Gordon has had a tremendous year, but I think Getz is important like Gordon is. When this kid is in the lineup, it makes my team better and it makes my bench stronger."
The bench, obviously, becomes stronger with Jayson Nix returning to his super-sub role. Getz, meanwhile, is anxious to get back into the playoff push, especially with a .296 average in the season's second half.
"I felt pretty good," said Getz, addressing how he was swinging the bat before the injury. "I felt like I was getting in a good position to help out the team. This stuff happens. I'm going to get better, healthy and continue on the rest of September."
Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.