DETROIT -- Austin Jackson has been setting new standards for Tigers rookies for much of the summer. His leadoff single and run in the first inning Monday against the White Sox put him in a new class among Major League rookies.

Until Monday, just six big leaguers since 1960 had posted 160 hits, 90 runs, 30 doubles and 20 stolen bases in their rookie seasons. Jackson just joined the club. Considering the other six ended up as multi-time All-Stars, it's pretty good company.

The last rookie to do it before Jackson was Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez in 2006. The only other player in the last decade to pull it off was Ichiro Suzuki in 2001, and the only player in the 1990s to reach the feat was Nomar Garciaparra in 1997. The other three were Devon White (1987), Juan Samuel (1984) and Ryne Sandberg (1982).

Just two Tigers -- Barney McCosky in 1939 and Roy Johnson in 1929 -- have hit those marks in their first Major League seasons, according to research on

Tigers' Guillen remains bothered by knee

DETROIT -- Nearly three weeks after a hard slide from the Yankees' Brett Gardner sidelined Carlos Guillen, the Tigers' infielder said his bruised left knee feels as bad as it did before. That includes the sharp pinch he feels when he tries to move around and run.

"It's bad," Guillen said Monday morning. "Maybe worse [than before]. I don't know."

With four weeks left in the season, it's bad enough to question whether he'll be back this year.

"At this point right now, obviously we've got to get his knee to the point where he has no soreness," head athletic trainer Kevin Rand said. "Once we get to that point, then we can increase his activity. But at the pace it's going right now, we might run out of time."

Though said he's walking better than he had been, the pinching restricts him from doing much more than that. That basically puts him in a holding pattern on his rehab work.

Guillen will visit with team physician Dr. Stephen Lemos in the coming days for a follow-up exam, which could lead to another MRI. The original diagnosis on the knee when he suffered the injury last month in New York was a deep bone bruise that would sideline him for two to three weeks.

Guillen himself is getting frustrated with the lack of progress. He was hoping to get back around this time.

"It's a bone bruise, and it's taking forever," he said.

Galarraga says he's fine; Laird near return

DETROIT -- As the season is winding down, minor bumps and bruises are starting to pile up for the Tigers.

Starting pitcher Armando Galarraga experienced elbow stiffness in his throwing arm during Sunday's 2-1 loss to the Royals, when he tossed five innings and only allowed one earned run but surrendered five walks, which tied his season high. The right-hander felt some pain while warming up, however it subsided as his arm loosened during the game.

Galarraga's next start is slated for Friday in the series opener against the Orioles. As of now, he doesn't expect his elbow stiffness to cause him to be skipped in the rotation.

"It was different than normal soreness," Galarraga said before Monday's series opener against the White Sox. "I don't think I'm going to lose any starts. I'm going to get some treatment."

Tigers manager Jim Leyland said the club could make a callup if the stiffness becomes more of a concern. Coincidentally, left-hander Andy Oliver threw a side session at Triple-A Toledo on Sunday after making his final scheduled start for the Mud Hens on Friday night.

Catcher Gerald Laird was absent from the starting lineup again Monday. He hasn't played since knocking his game-winning home run in Thursday's 10-9, 13-inning win over the Twins.

Laird's back is out of alignment, and he said he planned on receiving treatment on Monday and Tuesday in hopes of starting on Wednesday against White Sox lefty John Danks.

"Laird is doing better," Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand said. "His back is getting better each and every day. We are continuing to treat him and trying to get him 100 percent."

Utility man Ryan Raburn believes he's been battling a bad case of food poisoning, which he's experienced a few times before. He said he felt OK on Sunday morning and then felt light-headed and ill as game time approached, thus being a late scratch after being penciled in to play left field.

Raburn said he was feeling much better Monday morning, and believes whatever he had finally let up overnight.

Sizemore to rejoin Tigers on Tuesday

DETROIT -- Tigers infielder Scott Sizemore is hoping his difficult rookie season has a happy ending. At least it'll end in the big leagues.

By no means does Sizemore's impending callup mean that he'll be returning to his old job at second base, or getting regular playing time. But it at least gives him a chance to close out his campaign with a good impression.

"This year, I would say, is probably as difficult of a year as I've ever had, just the mental strain and physical strain," Sizemore said when he learned of the move Sunday night. "I mean, I've been kind of beat up all year. It's taken a lot out of me. But you know, to kind of end on a strong note and get the call up to the big club, it makes it all worthwhile.

"Sometimes in the year, you just go frustrated and you keep pushing through it, keep working, and you hope that there's going to be some light at the end of the tunnel. Fortunately this time, there is."

Sizemore will rejoin the Tigers on Tuesday. He received the news after his game for Triple-A Toledo on Sunday night, when he fell a triple shy of the cycle. The three-hit, three-run effort raised his average to .298 with 23 doubles, nine home runs and 37 RBIs in 76 games. He returns to Detroit with a .205 average (24-for-117), six doubles, one homer and nine RBIs.

He went from the Tigers' Opening Day second baseman to Toledo in May, then became Detroit's third baseman briefly in July after Brandon Inge broke a bone in his left hand. Sizemore's present and future role isn't clear.

"He's not going to play over [Brandon] Inge or [Will] Rhymes," manager Jim Leyland said. "How much playing time is he going to get? I don't know. I think he's healthy now. We will use him to pinch-run or play a game maybe now and then or pinch-hit for someone. But I'm not going to play him over Rhymes right now or over Inge. If I was going to do that, I should have had him here before."

Damon fools St. Pierre's family on first hit

DETROIT -- Max St. Pierre didn't fall for the hidden-ball trick that Johnny Damon tried to pull on him on his first Major League hit Saturday night. But St. Pierre's cousin did.

When St. Pierre singled off Royals reliever Dusty Hughes, Damon was ready at the top of the Tigers' dugout to retrieve the ball when it was thrown back in. He was also ready with another baseball in his left hand.

Once Damon got the real first-hit ball, he pulled the switch behind his back and tossed the other ball into the stands for a fan. St. Pierre wasn't watching; he was on first base trying to gather himself and get ready to run the bases. But his family was watching from the stands and didn't notice the trick.

St. Pierre said his cousin paid $20 to the fan who had the fake ball.

Damon said he's pulled the trick on "a lot of guys" over the years, as long as there's an extra ball in the dugout to use. But usually he fools the players, not the family. St. Pierre, however, got a laugh out of it.