OAKLAND -- Second baseman Gordon Beckham was out of the lineup for the fifth straight game Monday with a sore right hand, and he pushed back a scheduled batting practice session until Tuesday.
Neither the White Sox nor A's took batting practice on the field -- groundskeepers were busy working to get it back in shape for baseball after Sunday's football game between the Raiders and Rams. But Beckham decided to forgo a stint in the batting cage, too.
"Figure I'll get another day," Beckham said before the game. "I've got a couple issues. Obviously I've got where I got hit. Then I've got a little cut there. We're going to give it one more day then try to hit tomorrow."
Beckham has been battling a sore hand since Aug. 30 at Cleveland when he was hit by a pitch. Since then, he has developed a cut between his right thumb and index finger that he said was caused by a wrap he used to "keep the pressure off" his hand.
"It just kind of developed," Beckham said.
White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he expects Beckham to be back in the lineup soon, but he wants to see proof first that he's ready to play.
"Last time he did it -- 'I'm ready, I'm fine, I'm cool' -- he missed a few days because we believed he was fine, but he wasn't," Guillen said.
Beckham has hit .310 since the All-Star break and has raised his average to .252. But he has just three hits in his past 21 at-bats and has no homers and just one extra-base hit since his injury.
"I don't know how many at-bats I've had this month, but ... I've been pretty hurt in those at-bats, so in a way I gave them away," Beckham said. "I brought the average down a little bit. I'm just trying to get out there and play and help the team.
"If I can be out there, I'm going to do it. It's frustrating I got hit there. I've never been without the use of my hands. I think they're one of my best attributes. It's been difficult to get through this, but you've got to play through it sometimes."
Whatever happens the rest of the season, Beckham will go into the offseason knowing he rebounded from a rough first half of the season.
"Yeah, I came back," Beckham said. "I came back from a real tough time in my baseball career. It's always nice to show that you can respond and come back from it, even when you feel like there's no chance you can do it."
Tight shoulder ends Floyd's start early
OAKLAND -- White Sox right-hander Gavin Floyd was taken out of the game with tightness in the back of his right shoulder after throwing just seven pitches in the first inning Monday night against the A's.
Floyd left the game with a 2-2 count to leadoff hitter Rajai Davis. Tony Pena replaced Floyd and pitched six shutout innings in a 3-0 loss.
"After my past start, I felt a little sore, not normal soreness," Floyd said of his start Wednesday against Minnesota. "I had some treatment on it and felt like it was getting better. I felt like it was going away. Then again, I didn't really let it go, but it felt better.
"I went out there [in the bullpen] and started letting it go and spinning some curveballs. It just felt like it progressively got inflamed a little bit more and more. Sitting on the bench and then going back out there after the half-inning, it felt like it wasn't getting better. I felt it every pitch. It's kind of one of those things you pray it's nothing serious, which I don't think [it is], from what I feel. Just one of those things you don't want to get too serious."
Manager Ozzie Guillen said he won't take any chances with Floyd. If he's not "200 percent" healthy, he'll shut him down for the rest of the season.
"We have to wait to see how he feels tomorrow," Guillen said. "If it gets to the point I've got to shut it down, I will shut it down. There's no reason to risk this kid's career. ... There's no reason to take a chance at this moment."
If Floyd can't make his next start, then Pena "might" take his spot in the rotation, Guillen said.
Floyd is 3-0 with a 1.32 ERA lifetime against the A's, but he has been struggling recently. In his previous start, he allowed nine hits and six earned runs in 5 1/3 innings against the Twins. Before that, he gave up 13 hits and five earned runs against Detroit.
Last year, Floyd injured his left hip on Sept. 16 in a start against Seattle, leaving the game after three innings. He didn't pitch again that season, missing his final two scheduled starts.
Jenks to miss White Sox road trip
OAKLAND -- Reliever Bobby Jenks remained in Chicago and will not join the White Sox on their six-game road trip against the A's and Angels, but manager Ozzie Guillen said he has not given up hope that Jenks will pitch again this season.
Jenks hasn't pitched since Sept. 4 when he saved both ends of a doubleheader against the Red Sox at Fenway Park. He's been sidelined with ulnar neuritis, which causes pain in his right forearm.
"The reason we didn't bring Bobby here is because I'm told the six, seven days we're going to be here, he's not going to throw," Guillen said.
"I hope when we get to Chicago he's going to throw at least one, two innings to finish this year. But I don't have any idea yet."
Jenks' future with the White Sox is in doubt, too. He's third-year arbitration eligible, and there's no guarantee the White Sox will tender him a contract. Guillen said he didn't know whether Jenks would be on the team next year.
"When Bobby's available to pitch, the bullpen is better," Guillen said. "I've been saying that all summer. But like I've said, I don't know what direction we're going to go. I don't know what we have in mind.
"Bobby's been great for this organization since he's been here. He's been good. Bringing him back or not, that's front office people's job. I don't have any idea what they're going to do. We haven't talked about it yet. We haven't had the meetings yet."
Right-hander Freddy Garcia missed his scheduled start Saturday with a sore back, but White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he expects Garcia to pitch sometime on this six-game road trip against the A's and Angels. "I won't say I'm counting on him, but I feel pretty optimistic about having him on the mound before we [return] to Chicago," Guillen said. ... The White Sox lost to Detroit in 11 innings Sunday night and didn't arrive in the Bay Area until after 3 a.m. PT Monday. "I didn't get to bed before 4," second baseman Brent Lillibridge said before Monday's game. "It was a long day all together. The ESPN night game always throws you off, but we're OK. Everyone looks like they're alive and got enough sleep." ... Infielder Omar Vizquel is 43, but Guillen said that the way he keeps himself in shape he could play another one or two seasons. "Is he going to be here? I don't know," Guillen said. "He's been great for us."
Eric Gilmore is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.