DUNEDIN, Fla. -- The Blue Jays cut six more players from camp on Sunday morning to bring their total number of players in Spring Training to 48, which includes 15 non-roster invitees.
Shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria, catcher Brian Jeroloman, outfielder Moises Sierra, and pitchers Josh Roenicke, Luis Perez and Robert Ray were sent down to the Minor League camp.
Toronto now has 26 pitchers, four catchers, 10 infielders and eight outfielders left.
Hechavarria is one of the club's top prospects, but needs more time to develop before he will be able to make the jump to the Major Leagues. The 21-year-old, considered a plus defender, hit .273 with three home runs and 34 RBIs in Double-A New Hampshire last year.
Jeroloman will be a prime candidate to get called up to the Major Leagues if either J.P. Arencibia or Jose Molina suffer injuries during the season. He likely will begin the year as the starting catcher in Triple-A Las Vegas. Last year, he hit .261 with seven home runs and 33 RBIs.
Roenicke, the only pitcher who entered camp with a chance to make the Blue Jays' Opening Day roster, was still considered to be a long shot. The 28-year-old went 1-0 with a 5.68 ERA in 16 games with Toronto last season.
Francisco unconcerned over Saturday scratch
DUNEDIN, Fla. -- The Blue Jays do not appear to be concerned that Frank Francisco's shoulder problems are going to become a long-term issue.
Francisco was scratched from his scheduled outing against the Pirates on Saturday afternoon because of soreness in his throwing shoulder.
The 31-year-old warmed up in the bullpen before being evaluated by head trainer George Poulis during the game. The issue was described as a knot in the affected area and is not expected to cause any lingering problems.
"[Francisco] actually came back out and threw another 10 pitches in the bullpen at full intensity," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "He didn't feel like it was worth pushing through it, at this point in time in camp."
Francisco's right shoulder has been an going storyline during Spring Training. The Dominican native didn't throw off a mound for the first couple weeks of camp, as he tried to build up strength in the area.
The club went out of its way to suggest there weren't any injury concerns and that Francisco was advancing at his own pace, which had been the case throughout his six-year career.
2010 Spring Training - Toronto Blue Jays
News & Features
- Blue Jays get contributions throughout lineup in win
- Lawrie's absence alters infield defense
- Gibbons returns with same approach from first stint
- Gibbons keeping options open in bullpen
- Encarnacion back in lineup at full health
Sights & Sounds
Spring Training Info
Farrell reiterated on Sunday that it's still not a problem, especially considering he threw a scoreless inning with two strikeouts on Wednesday against Tampa Bay.
"Had he not thrown the way he did the other day in Tampa, then maybe something to [be concerned about]," Farrell said. "But he threw the ball very aggressively, with good intent [and] conviction to all his stuff. I think yesterday was just a case of seeing where we are in camp and not wanting to push through it.
"There's no added concern. Certainly, we would like to see him get on the mound, but the fact that he came in this morning with no ill effects, it doesn't take him out of his work on Tuesday."
The fact that Francisco has only made two appearances during Spring Training is not expected to affect his preparation for Opening Day. He remains on pace to be ready for the start of the season and continues to be the favorite to be named the club's closer.
"We had planned for nine appearances; this will make it eight," Farrell said of Francisco's new schedule. "The fact that he is a one-inning reliever helps in that regard. We feel like, if he can get close to 10 appearances, that's usually the amount that you're trying to build in, anyway."
Francisco, acquired from the Rangers in an offseason deal for catcher Mike Napoli, is 17-15 with a 3.75 ERA and 32 saves in 277 career appearances.
Blue Jays lose Cabral to Rays on waiver claim
DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Left-hander Cesar Cabral appears to be a hot commodity these days.
The 22-year-old prospect was claimed off waivers by the Rays on Monday afternoon. The move comes just two days after the Blue Jays claimed Cabral from Tampa Bay.
Cabral, who spent last season in Boston's Minor League system, was selected in the 2010 Rule 5 Draft. As per league rules, he must be placed on a club's 25-man roster or be offered back to Boston for $25,000.
Toronto manager John Farrell said on Sunday that his team was attempting to work out a trade with Boston that would allow Cabral to remain with the Blue Jays but be assigned to the Minor Leagues. Those trade talks appear to not have advanced the way Toronto might have originally hoped and Cabral was exposed to waivers.
Last year, Cabral went 4-0 with a 3.63 ERA in 45 appearances between Class A Greenville and Class A Salem. He possesses an above-average fastball that sits in the low-to-mid 90s and an effective slider. He also reportedly is working to develop a changeup.
The 6-foot-3, 175-pounder made three relief appearances for Tampa Bay during the Grapefruit League season. He allowed two runs on two hits while striking out four over 3 2/3 innings.
Rays manager Joe Maddon said Sunday that Tampa Bay liked what it saw from Cabral during his brief stint, but that he needs more time to develop.
"He's a really wonderful kid," Maddon said. "What I saw was a really good arm, [though he is] a little erratic with his arm on occasion. I see a kid who's not ready for the big leagues, but has a really nice future. He's a very interesting prospect."
Tampa Bay now finds itself in the same situation the Blue Jays were in. The club will have to work out a trade with the Red Sox or risk losing Cabral for the second time this offseason.