LOS ANGELES -- When talking to reporters about injured reliever Vicente Padilla on Thursday, Dodgers head athletic trainer Stan Conte gave an update on another injured reliever.

Jonathan Broxton has been on the disabled list since May 6 after an MRI exam revealed a bone bruise in his right elbow but no structural damage. Conte said there still is no timetable for a return, but he said that Broxton has been in what he calls a "sub-maximal" throwing program for the past six days. The program limits Broxton to throwing 60-65 mph as a means to keep his right shoulder loose without putting pressure on the sore elbow.

"He's doing very well," Conte said. "We'll just kind of progress it. I'm hoping he's on the mound in the next couple of weeks, but I don't know if that's a conservative view or that's a quick view. We'll just have to wait and see how this works out."

Irritated forearm lands Padilla on disabled list

LOS ANGELES -- Add Vicente Padilla to the ever-expanding list of Dodgers relievers currently on the disabled list.

Padilla was placed on the 15-day DL Thursday because of discomfort in his right forearm. The Dodgers recalled Ramon Troncoso from Triple-A Albuquerque to take Padilla's spot in the bullpen.

Padilla joins fellow relievers right-hander Blake Hawksworth (strained right groin), left-hander Hong-Chi Kuo (anxiety disorder) and closer Jonathan Broxton (right elbow) on the DL. Hawksworth, though, threw a bullpen session Thursday and could be on his way to a rehab appearance before he's eligible to return to the club on May 25.

Padilla had surgery in February to free an entrapped radial nerve in his right forearm, and team athletic trainer Stan Conte said it's not unexpected to see him experience this kind of irritation after such a operation.

"Throughout the season he's going to have this nerve irritation once in a while," Conte said. "It's just the nature of the injury. Although the surgery released the nerve from suppression, the nerve takes a long time to get 100 percent back. ... That doesn't mean that he can't pitch, it just means that it's not all that unusual to see irritation."

Padilla's last outing came Friday against the Arizona Diamondbacks when he threw 32 pitches in the ninth inning -- the most he's thrown since his surgery.

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said Padilla felt better Thursday, but it just made the most sense to shut him down now rather than continue to be short one arm in the bullpen.

"It just makes sense for us to give him a chance to get healthy and try to get him for the long term," Mattingly said.

Mattingly said he expects Padilla to be available when he's eligible to come off the DL on May 29. In the meantime, the Dodgers will rely on Kenley Jansen and Matt Guerrier to get through the eighth and ninth innings depending on the matchup, with Mike MacDougal as a third option to close.

Caution expected to delay Blake's rehab stint

LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers head athletic trainer Stan Conte said it's unlikely that third baseman Casey Blake would begin a rehab appearance with Triple-A Albuquerque on Friday as previously expected.

"I don't think so," Conte said. "I don't think he will be out this weekend but we'll have to wait and see."

Blake, who underwent surgery for a staph infection in his left elbow April 29, has participated in batting practice for the past week and said Wednesday that he has full range of motion in the elbow and expected to join the Isotopes on Friday.

Conte said the team is hesitant to let Blake take the next step in his rehab until he's been examined by head team physician Dr. Neal ElAttrache, who returned to the team Thursday night after having to go out of town unexpectedly Tuesday.

"Before we do anything, we need him to see Dr. ElAttrache," Conte said. "He's back tonight and we're holding him back until he sees Dr. ElAttrache. Obviously this guy coming back from a surgery -- from an infection -- we're really going to be super, super careful. So I don't want to send him out and do anything more until Dr. ElAttrache actually puts his hands on him and tells him it's OK."

Ethier sorry for 'dumb incident' with photographers

LOS ANGELES -- Andre Ethier apologized Thursday for making an obscene gesture to a group of photographers during batting practice before a Dodgers game earlier this week.

Two photos of the incident, one of which features Ethier making the gesture with both hands, appeared on a sports website. The site reported the photos were taken before the Dodgers' Monday game against the Brewers.

Ethier said he's been contacted by Major League Baseball, but he did not say whether he expects to be fined.

"I'm sorry," Ethier said. "It's a dumb incident."

In explaining the situation, Ethier said he was simply joking around after asking the group of photographers, who were on the dirt surrounding the field, to stop shooting his hitting session after a couple of minutes.

"I wasn't [ticked] at all," Ethier said. "If you're going to stand there and take 15 minutes straight of the same picture, what's the difference from the first to the 15 minutes? It just got kind of annoying doing that. I guess I slipped up and sometimes that temper that you guys like to write about got ahead of me. ... I didn't use my head and use the best judgment in that situation, and sometimes that bites you in the butt and you make a mistake and it's unfortunate."

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said he heard about the incident Wednesday night and saw the photos Thursday. He also said he spoke with Ethier about the matter. Mattingly did not say whether the organization will discipline Ethier.

"From an organizational standpoint, it's not something that we can condone," Mattingly said. "I had a talk with him and it's something I talked to [general manager] Ned [Colletti] about, and it's something that we really plan on handling internally."

White Sox to honor LA's Garland, Uribe

CHICAGO -- Dodgers right-hander Jon Garland starts on Saturday against the White Sox, with Mark Buehrle, his old friend and teammate, also on the mound. Infielder Juan Uribe figures to be in that starting lineup against the White Sox southpaw.

Before Friday's game, though, the White Sox plan to honor both valued former members of the organization.

Garland posted a 92-81 record over eight years with the White Sox, also capturing one win the 2005 American League Championship Series. Uribe was the starting shortstop on the 2005 World Series team, recording the final out to complete the sweep of Houston on a slowly hit Orlando Palmeiro grounder up the middle, and was a beloved clubhouse character.

A video tribute will be shown for the duo's first trip back to U.S. Cellular Field.