BOSTON -- The Bruins brought the Stanley Cup to Fenway Park on Sunday, and the crowd showed the same outpouring of affection that the entire city did during the Bruins' parade through town a day earlier.
"There was a lot going on. I thought it was exciting," manager Terry Francona said after Boston's 12-3 win over Milwaukee. "I think the fans enjoyed it. I think the players enjoyed it. I thought the Brewers players enjoyed it. It was nice to see the Bruins get to celebrate their championship in our ballpark. "When we scored six runs in the first inning, it makes it even better."
Four duck boats full of Bruins entered from center field and circled around the stadium before first pitch, and the players tossed souvenirs to the crowd as flags sporting Bruins' names and numbers waved in the stands.
Before the game, the Bruins visited the Sox clubhouse, and the players were thrilled.
"I got to see some of the Bruins players up close. ... I took a picture with the trophy," Jacoby Ellsbury said. "It was nice to see, all the fans were really excited."
"It felt great," said David Ortiz, who picked up the cup. "You don't get to see a trophy like that every day. They hung out in the clubhouse. We took some good pictures."
After the duck boats circled the field, the Bruins walked to the infield, and the Red Sox lined up in foul territory between the dugouts. Zdeno Chara held the Stanley Cup above his head and placed it on the mound before the all Bruins threw a ceremonial first pitchs.
"It was good to congratulate to the guys," Adrian Gonzalez said, "and just to let 'em know that we're proud of them."
Red Sox put Buchholz on DL, call up Miller
BOSTON -- Manager Terry Francona said that the team had been thinking about starting Clay Buchholz, who's been bothered by a lower back strain, next Saturday against the Pirates. That start would have come on eight days' rest.
Buchholz instead was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday, and left-hander Andrew Miller, already slated to pitch on Monday against the Padres but not yet on the 25-man roster, officially had his contract selected from Triple-A Pawtucket.
"The more we thought about it, it was like, 'OK, if we back him up one more Saturday, it'll cost him basically a week,'" Francona said after Boston's 12-3 win over Milwaukee on Sunday afternoon. "We've got a chance to get him healthy for the rest of the year. I think he understood."
The 26-year-old Miller will be making his Red Sox debut following an impressive stint at Pawtucket that included a 1.78 ERA in his last four outings. He went 3-3 with a 2.47 ERA, 61 strikeouts and 35 walks over 13 appearances (12 starts).
"I'm obviously looking forward to it a lot," said Miller, who arrived at Fenway Park close to game time on Sunday. "I've been pitching well lately, and I'm just looking to carry it over and do the same thing here."
"We're hoping to see exactly what he's been doing," Francona said about Miller before the game. "One start doesn't make or break a career, but we just want to see him pound the strike zone with his good stuff. He's really done a terrific job. He went to Triple-A. He worked on his stuff. He got his pitch count up. He worked on his stamina. There's a lot to like about this kid."
Miller could have opted out of his contract last week, but the Red Sox decided to bring him up and he elected to stay, saying that it wasn't a hard call.
"There really wasn't much of a decision process," Miller said. "I knew there was a date coming up, but that was handled. I was basically reassured by the Red Sox that good things were going to happen, and they have. I'm happy to still be here."
As for Buchholz, he wasn't surprised he was placed on the DL.
"Even if I was given a couple extra days in between the last start and my next one, we did that once, and I felt good for one start and then [the injury] came back," Buchholz said, referring to the two extra days he received before a start against Toronto on June 10. "So hopefully I'll miss a whole start right now and then go at it that way. A little bit more rest, and hopefully it won't be anything that will bother me the rest of the season."
Buchholz will throw a bit during his downtime and doesn't expect to need any rehab time. Francona was noncommittal when asked if Buchholz, whose stint is retroactive to Friday, would pitch when he's eligible to be activated on July 2, when the Red Sox will be in Houston for a three-game series with the Astros.
"We'll see," Francona said. "Could be Saturday or Sunday. That's a ways away. We need to look at our rotation and how it sets up, but that's when he'll be available."
Red Sox name 'My Dad, My MVP' winner
BOSTON -- A Red Sox fan living in North Carolina was named the Boston winner of Major League Baseball's "My Dad, My MVP" contest, and he made his first visit to Fenway Park on Father's Day Sunday.
All 30 Major League clubs chose a winner as part of the campaign, which gives fans an opportunity to celebrate father figures in their lives.
Robert Hamilton of Raleigh was nominated by one of his two sons, who credited his father for teaching the two boys about Red Sox lore from day one.
"Red Sox Nation is not limited by geography, and we are honored that fans across the country like Robert Hamilton continue to pass the traditions of the Red Sox on to the next generation," president Larry Lucchino said. "We are proud to welcome him to Fenway Park for the first time to be recognized as the Red Sox MVP Dad on Father's Day. Congratulations, Robert."
More than 3,200 entries were submitted online for the contest, which is in its first year. The winners were selected by a celebrity panel of judges -- including David Ortiz -- and by nearly 270,000 fan votes. Major League Baseball also supports prostate cancer during Father's Day celebrations. Players wear blue ribbon decals and wristbands, and raises funds through the annual Home Run Challenge. For more information, visit homerunchallenge.org.
Red Sox hoping to right the right-field ship
BOSTON -- For all of Boston's strengths, right field hasn't been one of them.
Entering Sunday, the four Red Sox who have played right field this season were hitting a combined .223, the lowest in the Majors, and their .309 on-base percentage was third lowest. They've shown a little more pop than their counterparts on other clubs -- their eight home runs are actually close to the middle of the pack -- but their .351 slugging percentage is better than just five other clubs.
But with most things going right for the team, the Red Sox are as concerned about right field as they are any position.
"We try to be level-headed about where we're at and critique everything we're doing. Being honest, J.D. [Drew] hasn't caught fire yet," manager Terry Francona said. "That's just being honest. But he always seems to have that ability to have that one big spurt. Remember when David [Ortiz] got hurt a couple of years ago? I know it's there. Rather than run away from him -- I know we've sat him against a lot of lefties -- but we'd love for him to get hot. I know it's in there."
Drew has made 46 starts in right field, with Mike Cameron making 19. Both are free agents after the season, and they're making a combined $21.25 million.
Drew, who started on Sunday against the Brewers at Fenway Park, has a .225/.327/.329 line with four home runs in 202 plate appearances, and Cameron has a .157/.217/.289 line in 93 plate appearances.
Cameron was an everyday player until last season, and he hasn't seen his production translate to a bench role.
"With Cam, it's certainly not mentality, because he's as good as you're going to find," Francona said. "He's coming off [surgery for a sports hernia last season]. If Cam is strong and healthy enough, he's used to playing every day. It is a ... change for him. It's been hard for him, I think, to be productive so far."
Darnell McDonald and Josh Reddick have also played right this season.