DETROIT -- Johan Santana continues to long toss in Port St. Lucie, Fla., and is close to throwing off a mound for the second time in his rehab, according to Mets assistant general manager John Ricco. Santana, who is attempting to recover from last September's surgery to repair a torn capsule in his left shoulder, ceased throwing off a mound earlier this month after experiencing discomfort in his arm.

"Everything's been good so far, but he hasn't pushed it," Ricco said. "That would be getting up on the mound and letting it go. He hasn't gone there yet. And a lot of that is really based on how he feels."

The Mets have yet to set an updated timetable for Santana's return.

Niese has final hurdle before Mets clear him

DETROIT -- The Mets have received an updated diagnosis for Jon Niese, along with some measure of relief. But they are not yet completely convinced of Niese's health.

Niese underwent "a battery of tests" Tuesday afternoon at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, according to Mets assistant general manager John Ricco, all of which came back clean. But Niese still must pass one additional test, which required him to spend Tuesday wearing a heart monitor around Comerica Park, before the Mets will clear him to make his next start.

Team trainers are referring to the condition that forced Niese to leave last Saturday's start in Arlington as tachycardia, more commonly known as a rapid heartbeat. Since that time, both Niese and the Mets have dismissed it as a non-issue, allowing Niese to travel home to Ohio and waiting two full days before administering tests. Those tests finally came Tuesday at Henry Ford, in an examination that included an electrocardiogram (EKG), an echocardiogram and a treadmill stress test. Doctors observed no abnormalities, making it quite likely that Niese will make his next start.

  • 131 wins
  • 121 wins
"So far, all tests have come back normal," Ricco said.

Niese, who is 7-6 with a 3.67 ERA this season, left Saturday's start after 5 2/3 innings with a rapid heartbeat, which both he and manager Terry Collins attributed to the high-90s heat in Arlington. Though he said he has experienced the issue before, Niese has never raised red flags on the annual EKGs the Mets administer to all players in Spring Training.

Niese will return his heart monitor to Henry Ford Hospital on Wednesday, at which point doctors will read the results and the Mets will make an official determination regarding Niese's next start.

Reyes' triples pace puts him in elite company

DETROIT -- As his season and career continue to progress, Jose Reyes finds himself in more exclusive company.

Playing in his 1,000th game on Tuesday evening, Reyes entered the day with 97 career triples and 359 stolen bases. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the only other player with that many triples and steals in his first 1,000 games was Hall of Famer Ty Cobb, who amassed 106 triples and 391 stolen bases by his 1,000th game in 1912.

Told of the achievement Tuesday afternoon, the shortstop beamed.

"He's a Hall of Famer," Reyes said. "That's pretty good."

At his current pace, Reyes will finish this season with 29 triples, which would be the league's highest total since the dead-ball era. Cobb had four seasons of at least 20 triples, setting his career high of 24 in 1911 and matching it in '17. Reyes, who entered Tuesday's play with 14 triples, set his own career high in 2006, with 19 triples.

Trip to Detroit presents opportunity for Collins

DETROIT -- Some Mets players and personnel used Monday's off-day as an opportunity to break from the team. One quartet went golfing.

Manager Terry Collins used his time to visit the man who "had everything to do with me getting into baseball."

"It's fun to see your dad," Collins said. "When he's 92, you're glad to get a chance to see him."

Monday's meeting in Midland, Mich., a two-hour ride from downtown Detroit, marked the first time Collins had seen his father since the holidays. Bud Collins, who turned 92 on Saturday, planned to attend Tuesday's game along with scores of friends and family.

It was a rare opportunity for a man whom Terry Collins considers one of the single greatest influences on his career.

"He was the guy who bought me my first glove and my first bat," Collins said. "He didn't push, but he always supported me along the way and wanted me to play. He wanted me to do whatever it took."

A day after visiting with his father, Collins spent time on the field with another of his foremost influences, Tigers manager Jim Leyland. Collins served as Leyland's bullpen coach in Pittsburgh for two seasons in the early 1990s, before moving on to his first managerial job with the Astros.

Worth noting

Mets reliever Taylor Buchholz, who went on the disabled list May 30 with right shoulder fatigue, continues to rest his arm at home in Pennsylvania. There is no timetable for his return. ... Third baseman David Wright (stress fracture, lower back) is working on strengthening his core in Port St. Lucie, Fla., and remains tentatively scheduled to ramp up his baseball activities this week. The team expects Wright back from the disabled list shortly after the All-Star break. ... First baseman Ike Davis (bone bruise, left ankle) has relocated his rehab to his home state of Arizona.