ARLINGTON -- The Rangers officially announced their second big-name international signing of the month, inking Ronald Guzman of the Dominican Republic to a contract.He joined Nomar Mazara, another 16-year-old outfielder from the Dominican, who signed with the Rangers two days ago. Sources say Guzman signed for $3.45 million, and Mazara signed for $4.95 million. Guzman, who stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 205 pounds, was born on Oct. 20, 1994. He bats and throws left-handed. "When I tried out, I saw that they players work hard every day," Guzman said. "I want to be a part of this. I want to work too." Mazara and Guzman will both be teammates at the Rangers' Dominican complex in Boca Chica. They were also teammates on the Dominican Republic team at the RBI World Series in Jupiter, Fla. That team won the division championship.
Beltre given another start at DH to rest feet
ARLINGTON -- Adrian Beltre was given his second consecutive start at designated hitter on Saturday, as Rangers manager Ron Washington said he wanted to make sure the third baseman is healthy for the second half."He and Michael [Young] have been the two guys that have been grinding it since we've come out of Spring Training," Washington said. "I had a chance to give him back-to-back days off his feet, because we need just as much out of him in the second half as we got out of him in the first half." Washington also said that there was no injury to Beltre, who began Saturday with 84 starts at the hot corner this season and had appeared in all of the Rangers' 90 games. Saturday's start at designated hitter was his sixth start there. He will also start for the American League All-Stars after Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez pulled out of the festivities. "The opportunity is here for me to get him off his feet a couple days in a row, and we're on the same page," Washington said. "When I told him, he didn't fight me, so I like that."
Young congratulates Jeter on milestone
ARLINGTON -- A television inside the Rangers' clubhouse showed Derek Jeter collect the 3,000th hit of his career for the New York Yankees.Rangers infielder Michael Young played on the same team as Jeter in five All-Star Games, and both represented the United States in the World Baseball Classic, so he sent Jeter a text message of congratulations. "I think there's a mutual respect," Young said. "We became friends over the years. When it comes to this type of thing right here, you just say, 'Congratulations.'" Young said that knowing the competitor Jeter is, the Yankees' shortstop may not spend too much time celebrating the accomplishment and may already be focused on playing Sunday. "I know he's going to be really focused on the next game, but, hopefully, he takes some time to realize what a special moment this is," Young said. "There are only 28 guys in the history of the game who accomplished this." Jeter was voted to start for the American League All-Stars, but he pulled out because of concerns about his calf muscle, which forced him to the disabled list on June 15. Still, Young, who is headed to his seventh All-Star Game next week, would like to see his friend. "I would really like to see him in Arizona, so I can say it to him in person," he said.
Martin moves to Triple-A as Borbon heads to DL
ARLINGTON -- Outfielder Julio Borbon was placed on the disabled list on Saturday after injuring his left ankle with Triple-A Round Rock, and Rangers prospect Leonys Martin was promoted to take his place.Borbon, who was optioned to Triple-A by the Rangers on June 3, was carted off the field Friday. X-rays were negative, and doctors diagnosed it a sprained ankle. Martin, who was signed by the Rangers when he defected from Cuba earlier this season, tore apart Double-A, hitting .348 with four home runs in 112 at-bats with Frisco. Martin is already on the 40-man roster, and it stands to reason that the 23-year-old keeps performing in Triple-A like he did in Frisco, he could find himself on the Major League roster by September callups.
Blanco's condition revealed as bone bruise
ARLINGTON -- Rangers infielder Andres Blanco elaborated on Saturday about the stress reaction that forced him to the disabled list on Friday, saying that the doctors actually found a bone bruise when they checked up on him.
Blanco said the back pain had been bothering him for roughly a week, but he did not know what he did to instigate it.
"I might have done something wrong. I didn't realize when or how, but it started bothering me so bad," Blanco said. "We checked with the doctor, we took the pictures and saw a bone bruise."
Blanco started three out of four games from June 28 to July 1 and said that is when the pain first started.
Blanco said the DL trip is in order to give him rest, but that only swinging a bat irritates the injury. There was no issue for Blanco fielding, throwing or sprinting.
Louie Horvath is an associate reporter for MLB.com. T.R. Sullivan contributed to this report. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.