OAKLAND -- The Blue Jays received some positive news late Saturday night when the X-ray results on Adam Lind's injured right wrist came back negative.
Lind was struck on the wrist by a pitch from Oakland's Gio Gonzalez during the first inning of Saturday's game. The 28-year-old first baseman was held out of Sunday's lineup but is not expected to miss an extended period of time.
"Once he was finally able to get access to the X-ray machine, everything checked out OK structurally, so there was no crack," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said.
"He feels some soreness, but feels like it is feeling a little better than he expected. But still, when he felt it on some swings, we weren't going to take any further chance."
Toronto was forced to wait several hours before finding out the extent of Lind's injury. The Coliseum in Oakland is not equipped with an X-ray machine, which forced the club to send Lind to an emergency room at a local hospital.
Lind was in uniform for the series finale against Oakland but was unable to play. He went through some drills early in the morning and the club remains optimistic that Lind will be back in the lineup at the beginning of the week.
"We had him in the cage this morning," Farrell said. "He took some soft toss, some batting practice. He still feels it on some swings, and with that still being present, we backed him out to give him the day today. Hopefully by Tuesday he's ready to go."
Lind is batting .263 with 22 home runs and 72 RBIs in 100 games this season. He missed almost a month earlier this year with a lower-back injury, but this is the first time that he has dealt with a right wrist issue.
Francisco dealing with sore right shoulder
OAKLAND -- Right-hander Frank Francisco was unavailable to pitch during the Blue Jays' 1-0 victory over Oakland on Sunday afternoon because of a sore right shoulder.
Francisco began warming up in the ninth inning but felt some discomfort in the area and was forced to be shut down.
Blue Jays manager John Farrell said that it was the first time that Francisco encountered the problem, and he likely will be evaluated by team doctors before the club's next game on Tuesday against Kansas City.
"All those steps will be taken care of," Farrell said.
Franciso missed the first two weeks of the season with what was originally described as a shoulder injury, but later diagnosed as inflammation in his right pectoral muscle.
The 31-year-old is 1-4 with a 4.06 ERA and 10 saves in 14 opportunities this season with Toronto. His injury further complicates the back end of the Blue Jays' bullpen, which is already without the services of Jon Rauch, who is out for the next three weeks following an emergency appendectomy.
With Francisco unavailable to go, Farrell opted to use right-hander Casey Janssen for a third inning. Janssen marked a career high as a reliever with five strikeouts and allowed just one baserunner.
"I knew we have an off-day coming tomorrow," Janssen said about being able to extend his outing by one more inning. "I definitely used that, just gave everything I got. Just adrenaline and whatever I had left, and I knew if I got into trouble then someone was coming in to back me up. So just empty the tank."
Bautista back in lineup following treatment
OAKLAND -- Jose Bautista made his return to the Blue Jays lineup on Sunday afternoon after missing one game with tightness in his neck.
Bautista was a last-minute scratch for Saturday's game in Oakland. He took batting practice prior to that game and felt soreness in the area that caused him to sit out.
The 30-year-old slugger underwent treatment on Saturday night and again the following morning before getting cleared by the Blue Jays' medical staff.
"He came in this morning, and any tightness he was suffering from yesterday [was] released during the game with the amount of treatment and the exercises he was able to do," Blue Jays manager John Farrell told reporters on Sunday morning. "Today he woke up feeling loose and went through some treatment -- just precautionary -- and he's ready to go."
This is the second time this season that Bautista has been forced to deal with neck issues. Bautista left a game on May 1 in New York with neck spasms and went on to miss five games with the injury.
That past experience helped convince the club to be extra cautious this time around to ensure that the severity of the injury didn't increase.
"He passed all the tests," Farrell said. "We're not going to take a chance or risk anything based on the history he had earlier in the year, the five days he missed then. But he's confident that it remained loose and will be so during the game."
Entering Sunday, Bautista was hitting .316 with 35 home runs and 79 RBIs in 113 games this season. Earlier this week, he became the first player since Barry Bonds in 2007 to surpass 100 walks in fewer than 115 games.
Blue Jays sign righty Davies, release Miller
OAKLAND -- The Blue Jays signed right-hander Kyle Davies on Saturday and assigned him to Triple-A Las Vegas.
Davies went 1-9 with a 6.75 ERA in 13 starts for Kansas City this season. The 27-year-old was a fourth-round pick in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft.
The native of Decatur, Ga., is 43-65 with a 5.59 ERA in 151 career games -- 144 of which he started. His best season came in 2008 when he went 9-7 with a 4.06 ERA.
Toronto also announced on Sunday that left-hander Trever Miller was unconditionally released. The 38-year-old veteran appeared in six games for the Blue Jays this season and allowed two runs in 3 2/3 innings.
Miller was designated for assignment by the club on Aug. 26 after he surrendered an eighth-inning solo home run in Seattle.
Farrell gives Escobar day off to regenerate
OAKLAND -- Shortstop Yunel Escobar was given the day off on Sunday following a tough week at the plate.
Escobar is hitting just .069 (2-for-29) with 10 strikeouts and no extra-base hits in his previous seven games.
"It was a planned off-day to take advantage of the two days down," said Blue Jays manager John Farrell, whose team has an off-day looming on Monday.
"He has been going regularly for quite a long time, and just by watching some of the swings he could use a day down. He'll regenerate and be ready to go Tuesday when we get back home."
Escobar has played in 116 of the Blue Jays' 127 games this season. The Cuba native is batting .287 with 10 home runs and 41 RBIs.
John McDonald got the start at shortstop on Sunday, while second baseman Aaron Hill moved up in the order to fill Escobar's leadoff spot.
Gregor Chisholm is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, North of the Border, and follow him on Twitter @gregorMLB b>. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.