Porcello to get first taste of playoffs in Game 4
Righty's parents used to be Yankees fans, but he pulled for Mets
DETROIT -- The first thing you need to know about Tigers right-hander Rick Porcello is that his mother and father were big Yankees fans."My mom loves Derek Jeter," Porcello said with a grin on Monday. "She might like him more than she likes me." Things have changed, Porcello insists, since those days growing up in New Jersey when Fred and Pat used to pull him out of school on occasion to attend games at Yankee Stadium. When Porcello takes the mound for the Tigers in Game 4 of the American League Division Series at Comerica Park on Tuesday night, he said he's sure where the allegiance of his parents will lie. "I think they're pretty much committed to rooting for me and the Tigers right now," he said. "I don't think they watch many Yankees games anymore. But leading up to my professional career, they were Yankees fans."
- 2011 Regular Season
- Overall: 32 GS, 11-11, 5.15 ERA, 83 BB, 173 K
- Overall: 31 GS, 14-9, 4.75 ERA, 46 BB, 104 K
- Key stat: 1.5 HRs per nine innings is highest of his 13-year career.
- Key stat: 3.55 ERA in five September starts.
- At Comerica Park
- 2011: 1 GS, 0-1, 2.57
Career: 4 GS, 2-2, 7.17
- 2011: 14 GS, 5-5, 5.64 ERA
Career: 44 GS, 20-13, 4.59 ERA
- Against this opponent
- 2011: 2 GS, 1-1, 3.75
Career: 8 GS, 4-2, 6.33 ERA
- 2011: 1 GS, 1-0, 2.57 ERA
Career: 4 GS, 2-2, 5.56 ERA
- Loves to face.: Delmon Young, 3-for-15
Hates to face: Victor Martinez, 7-for-27
- Loves to face: Mark Teixeira, 1-for-10
Hates to face: Robinson Cano, 5-for-11
- Game breakdown
- Why he'll win: Current Tigers are batting .239 against him with a .333 on-base percentage.
- Why he'll win: Comerica Park should be electric for the Tigers' first home playoff game in five years.
- Pitcher beware: Has just three wins since the All-Star break.
- Pitcher beware: Has never pitched in the postseason before.
- Bottom line: Keep the ball in the yard.
- Bottom line: Don't pitch to Cano.
Barry M. Bloom is national reporter for MLB.com and writes an MLBlog, Boomskie on Baseball. Follow @boomskie on Twitter. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.