Padres Press Release
Padres select 15 players on second day of 2012 First-Year Player Draft
SAN DIEGO – The San Diego Padres today selected 15 players on the second day of Major League Baseball’s First-Year Player Draft. The 40-round draft concludes tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. PT with rounds 16-40.
In the second round, the Padres selected outfielder Jeremy Baltz out of St. Johns University (NY) at 68th overall in the Draft. In 61 games for St. Johns during his junior campaign this past season, the 21-year-old hit .345 (80-for-232) with 12 doubles, four triples, eight home runs, 51 RBI, 33 walks against 21 strikeouts and 18 stolen bases in 23 attempts. Also in the second round, in compensation for right-hander Heath Bell, the club selected catcher Dane Phillips at 70th overall out of Oklahoma City University (OK). The 21-year-old hit .410 (86-for-210) with 26 doubles, three triples, 14 home runs, 67 RBI, 39 runs scored and 34 walks against 32 strikeouts in 60 games for Oklahoma City during his junior campaign this past season.
Other notable selections included infielder Fernando Perez in the third round out of Central Arizona College (AZ) who attended Otay Ranch High School in nearby Chula Vista, Calif. and infielder River Stevens in the ninth round out of Allan Hancock College (CA). Stevens is a native of Escondido, Calif., who attended Mission Hills High School in San Marcos, Calif.
After the second day of drafting, the Padres have selected a total of 19 players through the first 15 rounds. The 19 players consist of eight pitchers (six right-handed and two left-handed), one catcher, six infielders and four outfielders. San Diego has drafted 11 college players and eight high school players.
Below is a look at the Padres draft selections through the first 15 rounds:
RD. PLAYER POS. HT WT SCHOOL HOMETOWN
1. Max Fried (7th) LHP 6-4 170 Harvard-Westlake HS (CA) Encino, CA
Comp. Zach Eflin (33rd) RHP 6-5 200 Hagerty HS (FL) Chuluota, FL.
Comp. Travis Jankowski (44th) CF 6-3 190 Stony Brook University (NY) Lancaster, PA
Comp. Walker Weickel (55th) RHP 6-6 195 Olympia HS (FL) Orlando, FL
2. Jeremy Baltz (68th) OF 6-3 205 St. Johns University (NY) Vestal, NY
2. Dane Phillips (70th) C 6-1 200 Oklahoma City University (OK) Nacogdoches, TX
3. Fernando Perez SS 6-2 190 Central Arizona College (AZ) Chula Vista, CA
4. Andrew Lockett RHP 6-5 225 Providence School Jacksonville HS (FL) Jacksonville, FL
5. Mallex Smith CF 5-9 155 Santa Fe CC (FL) Tallahassee, FL
6. Jalen Goree SS 5-10 195 Bibb County HS (AL) Brent, AL
7. Ramon Madrid SS 6-0 185 Central Florida University (FL) Victoria, TX
8. Brian Adams CF 6-4 215 University of Kentucky (KY) Gainesville, GA
9. River Stevens INF 6-0 165 Allan Hancock College (CA) Escondido, CA
10. Stephen Carmon SS 5-7 155 University of South Carolina Aiken (SC) Camden, SC
11. Maxx Tissenbaum INF 5-10 185 Stony Brook University (NY) Toronto, CAN
12. Drew Harrelson LHP 6-6 185 Berrien County HS (GA) Nashville, GA
13. Malcom Diaz RHP 6-2 185 Colegio Laico de Levittown (PR) San Juan, PR
14. Andrew Sopko RHP 6-2 180 Loyola-Sacred Heart HS (MT) Missoula, MT
15. Cory Bostjancic RHP 6-0 180 Marin Community College (CA) Fairfax, CA