Braves Press Release
Tim Hudson named Braves nominee for the 2012 Roberto Clemente Award presented by Chevrolet
Beginning today, fans can vote for the national award recipient on MLB.com/ClementeAward and register for a chance to win a trip to the 2012 World Series
Major League Baseball and Chevrolet, the official vehicle of Major League Baseball, today announced that Tim Hudson was named the Braves' 2012 nominee for the prestigious Roberto Clemente Award presented by Chevrolet. Today marks the eleventh annual Roberto Clemente Day, which was established by Major League Baseball to honor Clemente's legacy and to officially recognize local Club nominees of the Roberto Clemente Award presented by Chevrolet. Hudson is one of the 30 Club finalists for the annual award, which recognizes a Major League Baseball player who best represents the game of baseball through positive contributions on and off the field, including sportsmanship and community involvement.
The Roberto Clemente Award presented by Chevrolet pays tribute to Clemente's achievements and character by recognizing current players who truly understand the value of helping others. The Award is named for the 15-time MLB All-Star and Hall of Famer who died in a plane crash on New Year's Eve 1972 while attempting to deliver supplies to earthquake victims in Nicaragua.
Since joining the Atlanta Braves prior to the 2005 season, Tim Hudson has become a pillar of philanthropy both in the clubhouse and out in the community. Along with his wife Kim, the Hudsons support numerous charitable organizations that positively impact the lives of youth through the Hudson Family Foundation.
- Hudson Family Foundation: Established in 2009, the Foundation has raised more than $650,000 for children and families in need throughout Georgia and Alabama . To date, the Foundation has contributed:
- More than $105,000 in individual family grants; $99,000 in scholarships; nearly $70,000 in non-profit grants and donations; more than 6,000 children’s books; more than 2,500 Atlanta Braves baseball tickets; and more than 250 autographed baseballs and photos as in-kind assistance to schools, non-profits, churches and other youth-serving organizations throughout Georgia and Alabama.
- Community Initiatives: Throughout the season, the Hudsons help fulfill the wishes of numerous youth by hosting critically-ill children on Make-A-Wish® visits to Turner Field during the season. Kim served a five-year term on the Make-A-Wish® Foundation of Georgia and Alabama board, and the couple served as honorary co-chairs for the annual Celebration of Wishes black-tie gala each year. Tim serves as the Braves player liaison to help facilitate Wish visits to Turner Field.
- Tim works tirelessly to support Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta and their efforts to raise funds for pediatric cancer research and the AFLAC Cancer and Blood Disorders Center at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.
- Each spring training, Tim hosts the Tim Hudson Birdies & Baseball Celebrity Amateur Golf Tournament in addition to the annual Tim Hudson Braves Celebrity-AM Golf Tournament held each summer at Atlanta National Golf Club, White Columns Country Club and Settindown Creek. Over the past two seasons, Tim has also held a “Huddies Buddies” luncheon for donors who have contributed $1,000 or more during the organization’s annual Care-A-Thon. Through his involvement in these events, Tim has helped raise nearly $1.7 million to support Children’s Healtcare of Atlanta.
- The Hudsons have teamed with the Moyer Foundation and its “Campaign for Kids”, an initiative aimed at expanding the reach of the Foundation’s Camp Erin, a bereavement camp designed for children ages 6-17 who have experienced the death of a parent, friend or loved one.
- The Hudsons have generously donated their time and resources to support Team Colin, a growing community of individuals seeking to raise awareness about Cystic Fibrosis and the unique challenges families with Cystic Fibrosis patients face.
- The Hudsons also participate in various Braves community programs and fundraisers throughout the year such as the Christmas in July hospital visits to youth.
- In January 2011, Tim received the 46th Hutch Award given each year to a MLB player who best exemplifies the honor, courage and dedication of baseball great Fred Hutchinson both on and off the field.
"The Atlanta Braves are extremely proud of the philanthropic efforts made by Tim and Kim Hudson," Atlanta Braves President John Schuerholz said. "Their involvement in the numerous causes they support have made a substantial impact in the lives of children and their families throughout Braves Country. We are honored that Tim represents the Atlanta Braves organization and sets a standard that is deserving of this nomination. "
"I am humbled and honored to be among a group of outstanding nominees for the prestigious Roberto Clemente Award," Tim Hudson said. "Along with my wife, Kim, we are committed to improving and inspiring the lives of children and their families through the Hudson Family Foundation. This nomination further strengthens our desire and commitment to better the community we live in."
The distinguished list of national Roberto Clemente Award recipients includes 13 members of the National Baseball Hall of Fame:
|1971 - Willie Mays*||1985 - Don Baylor||1998 - Sammy Sosa|
|1972 - Brooks Robinson*||1986 - Garry Maddox||1999 - Tony Gwynn*|
|1973 - Al Kaline*||1987 - Rick Sutcliffe||2000 - Al Leiter|
|1974 - Willie Stargell*||1988 - Dale Murphy||2001 - Curt Schilling|
|1975 - Lou Brock*||1989 - Gary Carter*||2002 - Jim Thome|
|1976 - Pete Rose||1990 - Dave Stewart||2003 - Jamie Moyer|
|1977 - Rod Carew*||1991 - Harold Reynolds||2004 - Edgar Martinez|
|1978 - Greg Luzinski||1992 - Cal Ripken, Jr.*||2005 - John Smoltz|
|1979 - Andre Thornton||1993 - Barry Larkin||2006 - Carlos Delgado|
|1980 - Phil Niekro*||1994 - Dave Winfield*||2007 - Craig Biggio|
|1981 - Steve Garvey||1995 - Ozzie Smith*||2008 - Albert Pujols|
|1982 - Ken Singleton||1996 - Kirby Puckett*||2009 - Derek Jeter|
|1983 - Cecil Cooper||1997 - Eric Davis||2010 - Tim Wakefield|
|1984 - Ron Guidry||2011 - David Ortiz|
*Member of Baseball Hall of Fame
Beginning today, fans are encouraged to participate in the process of selecting the award recipient by visiting MLB.com/ClementeAward to vote for one of the 30 Club nominees. Fans will be automatically registered for a chance to win a trip to the 2012 World Series, where the national winner of the Roberto Clemente Award presented by Chevrolet will be announced. Voting ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday, October 14th, and the winner of the fan poll will receive one vote among those cast by a selection panel.
All Clubs playing at home today will recognize their local nominees as part of Roberto Clemente Day ceremonies, while each visiting Club will honor their nominees before another September home game. As part of the league-wide celebration, the Roberto Clemente Day logo will appear on the bases and the official dugout lineup cards.