NEW YORK -- Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano denied an Internet rumor on Thursday that suggested he was about to be hit with a 50-game suspension for a performance-enhancing drug violation.
Cano told the New York Daily News that there was no truth to the rumors, which circulated via Twitter.
"Not at all," Cano told the News. "There's no test or anything."
USA Today reported on Friday that an unnamed official with MLB confirmed that Cano did not test positive for a banned substance.
Cano's agent, Scott Boras, also told the Daily News that the rumors were baseless, saying that his office had traced the allegation to a rumor that originated in the Dominican Republic, a reporter in the U.S. and a rival agent.
According to the report, Boras said that he had not received word of any positive test by the Major League Baseball Players Association, which would notify the player and, in turn, their representatives to prepare for an appeal process.
"I have not been told anything about it," Boras said.
Thursday's rumors apparently sparked when Dan Tordjman, a Charlotte, N.C.-based television reporter, wrote on Twitter that he "can't confirm this but I'm hearing that Robinson Cano tested positive for PEDs," adding that he expected there would be an announcement from Major League Baseball shortly.
Cano's close friend, Melky Cabrera, was hit with a 50-game suspension earlier this season after testing positive for banned substances while playing for the San Francisco Giants. Cano told the Daily News that he is not concerned about a connection with Cabrera.
"You can't control what people say," Cano said. "There's a lot of negative stuff out there and I can't control that. I have to stay above that. There's been the same thing for a long time. It's something I can't control."