BOSTON -- Randy Wolf will make his second start with the Orioles on Saturday afternoon against the Red Sox.
"Randy pitched well here last year," manager Buck Showalter said, referring to a seven-inning outing at Fenway Park in which Wolf allowed two runs, "and he feels good, and I think we can cover. You also got to think about where it puts your bullpen, too."
With expanded rosters and an off-day Thursday, the Orioles feel OK removing Wolf from the 'pen to make another start. Wolf is 2-1 with a 2.73 ERA in four career starts at Fenway, and he also pitched last Saturday's game in Oakland after working out of the bullpen upon initially signing with Baltimore.
Showalter said the other two candidates to pitch Saturday -- lefty Zach Britton and right-hander Jake Arrieta -- will be available out of the bullpen. The duo, along with Steve Johnson, are options to start one of Monday's doubleheader games vs. the Blue Jays, with Wei-Yin Chen starting the other game.
Andino to undergo CT scan after getting beaned
BOSTON -- Orioles second baseman Robert Andino was slated to have a CT scan on his head following Friday night's 4-2 win over the Red Sox after he was hit in the back of his helmet with two outs in the top of the ninth inning.
Andino, who went 2-for-2 with a walk in his previous plate appearances, was plunked by a 94-mph fastball from Mark Melancon. Andinoc took a few steps toward Melancon on the mound with head athletic trainer Richie Bancells rushing out from the dugout despite Andino waving him off.
Manager Buck Showalter also came out to help diffuse the situation, and after Andino reached first base and conferred with the two men for a few minutes, he was removed for pinch-runner Omar Quintanilla. Andino was alert and awake the entire time and walked off the field without assistance.
Following Andino's exit, home-plate umpire Mark Wegner issued warnings to both clubs.
Andino, who was in the Orioles' clubhouse but not made available to reporters, is hitting .213 with seven homers and 26 RBIs.
Hammel optimistic he'll start again this season
BOSTON -- Right-hander Jason Hammel made some strides with his right knee on Friday afternoon, getting up to about halfway on the slope of the mound for the first time since re-aggravating the injury and remains optimistic that he will start again this season.
Hammel, who left his Sept. 11 start with discomfort, said there is still some irritation in his knee but it's gradually getting better each time out.
"Maybe I came back a little bit too quick," said Hammel, who missed about two months after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery and made his return from the disabled list Sept 6. "Usually when your body feels good you want to give it an extra week, so it was good that there was no extra damage [shown on the MRI] Just re-aggravated.
"I'm not going to get on a mound until it feels good. Honestly, I know that I can help the team, but we're looking further down the road here. If it's something I can re-aggravate further or reinjure or either my arm, who knows what's going to happen? We are just going to be a little cautious with it and hopefully I can come back soon."
When healthy, Hammel has been the Orioles' best starter. He owns a 3.43 ERA in 20 starts despite dealing with knee discomfort for two months before undergoing surgery.
"It's a lot further along than it was," manager Buck Showalter said. "[Pitching coach Rick Adair] and [Hammel] have talked about trying to look at a delivery that might take a load off that knee, which is something he was doing earlier in the year, but we'll see. Obviously [I'm] not going to pitch him if he still feels discomfort."
Brittany Ghiroli is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, Britt's Bird Watch, and follow her on Twitter @britt_ghiroli. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.