Alonso has fractured hand, out at least a month
With slugger sidelined, Padres likely to use Blanks and Guzman at first
DENVER -- Yonder Alonso said it best late Thursday night on his Twitter account: "No fun having a broken hand."
Alonso, who earlier in the day was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right hand contusion, learned the injury was worse after a CT scan revealed a fracture of the metacarpal in his right hand, which is essentially the bone above the knuckle of his middle finger.
He's likely to miss four or more weeks, Padres general manager Josh Byrnes confirmed by email.
No fun having broken hand... But ill be back soon !!! Big things ahead !!! Great W tonight for the @padres- Yonder Alonso (@YonderalonsoU) June 7, 2013
Alonso, who hasn't played since May 31, was hitting .284 with six home runs and 29 RBIs in 54 games. He suffered the injury when he was hit on the hand by a pitch against the Blue Jays on May 31.
"It was pretty painful," Alonso said Friday. "It's good news I was able to swing a bat in the first place. I'm shooting for three weeks, and I've already missed one week."
Alonso hit in the cage and took batting practice before Tuesday's game against the Dodgers but said his hand felt sore the following day, which was a result of the workload, according to manager Bud Black.
"It's a bummer for sure," said Black. "I thought we were going to avoid the DL with this one. I'm bummed for him. He likes playing. He's a durable guy."
In his absence, the Padres will use Kyle Blanks and Jesus Guzman at first base, though Mark Kotsay could see time there as well.