© 2007 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.
09/07/07 8:00 PM ET
Notes: Jorgensen suspended
Catcher violated Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
CINCINNATI -- Major League Baseball announced on Friday that catcher Ryan Jorgensen was suspended for 50 games for violating the league's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. Jorgensen was with the Reds from Aug. 14-26 and played in four games, batting .200 with two home runs and six RBIs. The 28-year-old batted .237 in 73 games this season for Triple-A Louisville. On Aug. 15, Jorgensen's first big league hit was a homer vs. the Cubs at Wrigley Field. On Aug. 26 vs. the Marlins, he hit a grand slam before being optioned back to Louisville when David Ross was activated from the disabled list. When September callups were announced earlier this week after rosters expanded, Jorgensen's name was not included. The Reds said at the time it was because of personal reasons. It was not known if Jorgensen tested positive for performance enhancing or recreational drugs. He joined the Reds organization after being acquired from the Marlins for a Minor Leaguer in March 2006. Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky declined to comment on the situation. "The Cincinnati Reds support Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program," the club said in a statement. "Ryan understands the rules of the program and will serve the appropriate suspension." Competitive balance: The expansion of Major League rosters in September is a system that can often perplex fans and worry contending opponents. Teams add players to give prospects big league exposure and to evaluate them. But those inexperienced players can sometimes play a part in games with big-time stakes on the line -- namely the postseason. The Reds are no longer in the pennant race, but interim manager Pete Mackanin is sensitive to teams that are. "I wouldn't put a better lineup out against the Cubs and then not against the Brewers," Mackanin said. "I have to stay on top of that. I think it's fair. At the same time, we have to do what's in the best interest of the Reds. We have to find out about certain guys." The Reds have eight September callups, including top first-base prospect Joey Votto, who hit a home run vs. the first-place Mets in his first start on Wednesday. Mackanin has said already he plans to play Votto as much as he can. "As long as he plays against every contender, I don't see the problem," Mackanin said. "If we had a young pitcher that we needed to find out about and we put him in the rotation against the Cubs, Brewers and Cardinals, I don't see how that would come into play." Hanigan learning: One of the Reds callups getting his first taste of the Majors is catcher Ryan Hanigan. The 27-year-old split this season at Double-A Chattanooga and Triple-A Louisville. Third on the depth chart behind Javier Valentin and Ross, Hanigan doesn't expect to play much. But even as he spends the rest of the month in the dugout or bullpen, it's been valuable for his development. "I'm learning what I can right now," Hanigan said. "You can pick up a lot just by paying attention up here. These guys, you know their game is the finest it's going to be. I'm going to learn from them and try to improve my game." A former player for Division II Rollins College, Hanigan played mostly at third base or left field because he was behind an upper classman. He got to catch in summer wooden bat leagues and was spotted in the Cape Cod League by Reds scout Leland Maddox, who signed Hanigan as an undrafted free agent. "In the summer when I caught, the scouts got to see my defense," Hanigan said. "I felt like my offense was there in college. Once I got a chance to play defense, it helped me." Medical reports: Center fielder Josh Hamilton, who was an early exit from Wednesday afternoon's game because of a sore hamstring, was back in the starting lineup on Friday. Starting pitcher Bobby Livingston's left arm was in a sling one day after having successful arthroscopic shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum. The procedure, performed by medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek, took 75 minutes. Livingston wasn't expected to pitch for the Reds again until the middle of next season. Early projections were that he might be able to begin throwing in January and work from a mound by May. "There's nothing you can really do to speed up from a torn labrum," Livingston said. "But I'll try to do what I can do. I'll do everything they tell me to do." Berry away: Reds third-base coach Mark Berry left the club to be with his father, who was hospitalized after a heart attack. Bench coach Pat Kelly filled in as third-base coach. Coming up: Aaron Harang (14-4, 3.68 ERA) will start for the Reds against the Brewers and Jeff Suppan (9-11, 4.75 ERA) on Saturday at 7:10 p.m. ET.
Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.