03/21/08 7:00 PM ET
Fasano likely won't accept assignment
Veteran catcher seeking Major League playing time
By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com
Currently, there's isn't room on the Blue Jays' Opening Day roster for the 36-year-old Fasano, who signed a Minor League contract with the club in December. On Friday, Fasano said he's unwilling to accept an assignment to Triple-A Syracuse, where he spent the majority of last season.
"Honestly, I don't think that's a good spot for me," Fasano said. "It's hard, because I really don't see myself as a Triple-A player. I've been in the big leagues a long time. I don't want to go back down."
Earlier this spring, Fasano expressed frustration over the Blue Jays' signing of catcher Rod Barajas in January to be their backup catcher. Fasano said he was under the impression that the No. 2 role behind the plate was going to be his. Now, he's waiting for Toronto to make a decision that could help him look for work elsewhere.
"I haven't heard anything," said Fasano, who added that Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi hasn't discussed the situation with him at all this spring. "You always want to know where you're going, but I don't know right now. I wish I had something, because it would really make my and my wife's life a lot easier. I don't know."
At Triple-A Syracuse, catching prospects Curtis Thigpen and Robinzon Diaz will split the playing time behind the plate, which would leave little opportunity for Fasano to catch. That being the case, the veteran of 10 big league seasons said a role at Triple-A would feel more like a coaching assignment than a catching job.
I don't feel like coaching anymore," Fasano said.
Jordan Bastian is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.