© 2008 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

10/08/08 10:55 AM EST

Burgos turns himself in to police

Dominican authorities say pitcher was involved in hit-and-run

The mother of a Dominican woman killed last week when struck by an SUV has told local police her daughter and another woman were run down intentionally by Ambiorix Burgos, the Mets pitcher. That accusation preceded Burgos turning himself in to authorities in the Dominican on Tuesday night.

The police say Burgos was involved in a hit-and-run accident that killed two women in the town of Nagua, 110 miles north of Santo Domingo, according to a report by The Associated Press. The report quotes prosecutor Raul Quiroz as saying Burgos was being questioned about the incident, and that Eudosia Ruane, mother of 29-year-old Angely Fana, had told the news agency that she had filed a report with police, alleging homicide. She told police, the AP reported, her daughter had refused to date Burgos, the 24-year-old relief pitcher who appeared in 17 games with the Mets in 2007.

An arrest warrant had been issued for Burgos, who disappeared after the incident that killed Fana and Josefina Minaya, 38.

Burgos is accused of abandoning the victims and fleeing the scene of the incident, charges that carry a penalty of six months to two years in prison. The victims died at a hospital in Nagua. Witnesses have told police Burgos was the driver, though his cousin, Edwin Silvestre Sanchez, claimed to be driving. Sanchez was released from police custody Friday, but he still could face charges as a possible accomplice, Quiroz said.

The prosecutor also said Burgos recently had been arrested on an unrelated charge of possession of an illegal weapon, and that he had been released after posting a $3,000 bond. Burgos also has an Oct. 23 court hearing in New York stemming from assault and harassment charges filed after he allegedly threw his girlfriend to the ground. Prosecutors said Burgos appeared in court on those charges but did not enter a plea. He faces up to a year in jail if convicted of the misdemeanor assault charge.

The Mets released this statement last week, regarding Burgos: "We are extremely disturbed by the reports regarding the player's potential involvement in the hit-and-run accident that unfortunately killed two women in the Dominican Republic. We take this matter very seriously and have begun an internal investigation to ascertain the facts. Our thoughts and sympathies are with the families of the victims."

Burgos had two tours of duty with the Mets in 2007, producing a 1-0 record and a 3.42 ERA in 23 2/3 innings. He twice was assigned to the club's Triple-A New Orleans affiliate, the second demotion coming May 29. He underwent reconstructive elbow surgery Aug. 28 last year and didn't play in the big league this year. He pitched 10 innings in eight appearances -- four of them starts -- in the Minor Leagues in late August.

Burgos began his big league career with the Royals and was traded to the Mets for Brian Bannister on Dec. 6, 2006.

Marty Noble is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.