© 2010 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.
08/19/10 2:53 AM ET
Baker evaluating contract extension
Manager says offer made days ago but won't divulge years
By Tom Singer / MLB.com
PHOENIX -- Reds general manager Walt Jocketty and manager Dusty Baker both confirmed Wednesday night that the manager has an offer for a contract extension in hand. "Yes, he has received a proposal, but otherwise there is nothing to say," Jocketty said, minutes after the Reds had increased their lead over the Cardinals in the National League Central to three games with a thrilling 11-7 comeback win over Arizona. Baker reaffirmed that his priority is focusing totally on the ongoing pennant race. Baker said the proposed offer was made days ago. He and his advisers are still evaluating the offer, which he would not identify whether it was for one year or longer. "There's not much to say right now," Baker said following Wednesday's game. "I'm focused on winning. "Like I'm always telling my players, concentrate on your jobs and on winning, and the rest will take care of itself." Earlier in the day, Baker told the Cincinnati Enquirer, "I've got to look at where we're going and what I want to do." Baker is in the final year of a three-year contract worth $3.5 million annually. The Reds are in pursuit of their first postseason appearance since 1995. With a record of 69-51, the Reds are 13 wins shy of securing their first winning season since 2000, when they finished 85-77.
Tom Singer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.