02/25/11 3:11 PM EST
Simon no longer facing suit related to shooting
By Chris Girandola / Special to MLB.com
Victor Mueses, the prosecutor handling the case, told the AP that the investigation will still continue and that he has evidence against Simon. Mueses is waiting for a ballistics test and analysis of a video taken during the shooting before presenting the case.
A judge denied a second request by Simon on Thursday requesting bail.
The 29-year-old Dominican native is suspected in the death of 25-year-old Michael Castillo, Simon's cousin, who was shot after a New Year's Eve celebration in the town of Luperon.
Prosecutors have until April 9 to formally charge Simon.
Sources told MLB.com earlier this week that Simon is expected to be cleared and possibly released from jail within the next week to 10 days.
Chris Girandola is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.