© 2011 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

10/11/11 2:12 AM ET

Close call in fifth halted Brewers' momentum

Weeks appeared safe on bang-bang play, but won't dwell on it

MILWAUKEE -- Although the Cardinals won a 12-3 rout over the Brewers in Game 2 of the National League Championship Series on Monday, a close call in the fifth inning could have potentially changed momentum by stopping a possible rally by the Crew.

The call, one of two flash decisions in the game, came in the fifth inning when Rickie Weeks was called out at first base even though replays appeared to show he beat the throw from second baseman Nick Punto on an inning-ending double play.

It was a pivotal call, as Milwaukee was trailing by five runs at the time and would have scored a run if Weeks were ruled safe, with Jerry Hairston coming up with runners at the corners and two outs.

Weeks expressed shock at the call by first-base umpire Sam Holbrook, but he said after the game there was nothing he could do about it.

"I thought I was safe," Weeks said. "But he called me out, and that's the call. You can't go back and change that right now."

Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said he never saw the replay, but many of his players did, and they all thought Weeks was safe, as well.

"[It was a] big play in the game, whether he's safe or out," Roenicke said. "You guys saw the replay, that was a big play. If he's safe, we have a run in, we have the at-bat coming up with Hairston."

Reliever Lance Lynn, who induced the double play, said he never saw the end of the play, and said he didn't intend to watch the replay.

"Once I saw that the turn was being made, I was focusing on all the runners running around everywhere," Lynn said. "And then once they called him out, I was heading to the dugout. So I wasn't really paying attention."

Weeks was quick to point out that there is no point in dwelling on the play, as it was just one of many in the Brewers' loss.

"You can't look at one call in baseball," Weeks said. "It's just one of those things. You might think the game might've gone one way there, but that's baseball. You can't worry about that. It's just one play."

St. Louis also had a close play go against it in the fourth inning. Rafael Furcal hit a slow roller to third baseman Hairston with a runner on second base, and was ruled out on a bang-bang call from Holbrook to end the inning.

The two close plays came after Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig was asked about the use of technology regarding the strike zone, and how broadcasters have been referring to the digital strike zone during the postseason.

"It's part of the world we live in," Selig said prior to Monday's game. "They do that in all sports now, and different things. I really am not critical of that. If I were them, I guess I'd do the same thing."

Rhett Bollinger is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Bollinger Beat, and follow him on Twitter @RhettBollinger. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.