11/18/11 6:32 PM EST
Hall home following surgery to remove prostate
By Steve Gilbert / MLB.com
The 42-year-old Hall was diagnosed with prostate cancer in September, and surgeons found the volume of cancer to be more than they anticipated, having consumed 30 percent of the prostate. There is a possibility that a marginal amount of the cancer may have escaped through the urethral stump, but Hall said that the area has tested negative so far and that it will continue to be monitored.
Doctors, though, are optimistic that he will make a complete recovery.
"When I made the decision to have surgery, I heard from a lot of anonymous sources nationally, questioning why I had opted for surgery so soon," Hall said. "The volume of cancer was so much higher than originally diagnosed that I definitely made the right decision."
Hall has decided to publicly discuss his battle because he hopes to encourage men to be tested early for the disease.
"If I had waited until I was 50, like they recommend to be tested, or to treat it, our surgeons said no doubt it would have already been in the bones and too late for treatment," he said. "It's a clear message to all men, and I'm the example that you can save a life with early detection, so it's very important that everyone has a PSA test."
Hall is expected to stop by his Chase Field office for a short time on Friday.