04/05/2012 1:40 PM EST
Jeter, Lee, Pujols Top MLB most popular jerseys list
Cano, Crawford, Freese, Gonzalez, Pence, Rivera and Verlander Crack Top 20 After Not Appearing on 2011 List. Top Ten Includes Players on Seven Different Clubs; 12 of top 20 Under Age 30.
Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees, Cliff Lee of the Philadelphia Phillies and Albert Pujols of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim top the list of MLB Most Popular Jerseys released jointly today by Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, based on sales of official Majestic jerseys for the 2011 calendar year.
Seven players - Robinson Cano, Carl Crawford, David Freese, Adrian Gonzalez, Hunter Pence, Mariano Rivera and Justin Verlander - who did not make last year's list cracked the top 20 this time around. Players representing 11 different MLB Clubs make up the list of top 20 most popular jerseys, with seven different clubs in the top ten. In addition, 12 of the top 20 players are under the age of 30. The Phillies and Yankees, the teams with the two best records last season, each have four players in the top 20. The top 20 include nine infielders, five pitchers, four outfielders and two catchers. Of the top 20, 12 were All-Stars in 2011 and 14 played on teams that reached the Postseason.
MLB Most Popular Jerseys
Based on Majestic 2011 sales figures
- 1. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
- 2. Cliff Lee, Philadelphia Phillies
- 3. *Albert Pujols, LA Angels of Anaheim
- 4. Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers
- 5. Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies
- 6. Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants
- 7. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
- 8. Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers
- 9. *Hunter Pence, Philadelphia Phillies
- 10. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
- 11. Chase Utley, Philadelphia Phillies
- 12. Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins
- 13. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers
- 14. Adrian Gonzalez, Boston Red Sox
- 15. Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
- 16. Ian Kinsler, Texas Rangers
- 17. Robinson Cano, New York Yankees
- 18. Mariano Rivera, New York Yankees
- 19. Carl Crawford, Boston Red Sox
- 20. David Freese, St. Louis Cardinals
*Pujols played for the St. Louis Cardinals until signing with the Angels in December 2011, while Pence was traded from the Houston Astros to the Phillies in July 2011. In both cases, their rankings reflect sales of jerseys for both teams.
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.