10/11/2013 12:52 P.M. ET
Complete game: How to accessorize in baseball
Major League Baseball and Pandora Jewelry announce a new line
By Mark Newman / MLB.com
One definition of an "accessory" is "an article or set of articles of dress -- as gloves, earrings, or a scarf -- that adds completeness, convenience, attractiveness, etc., to one's basic outfit."
Let's start with one that you may or may not have noticed Thursday night in Oakland. Justin Verlander wore his trademark titanium-infused X30 Fireball 103MPH Phiten necklace throughout his dominating Game 5 start that led Detroit back into the American League Championship Series, and if you look closely at photos and videos of his latest start, you will see it dangling around his neck with each delivery.
"I use Phiten as a recovery tool for me," said Verlander, one of many Major Leaguers who have worn them for years now, as standard as old stirrups. "From one start to the next, it really helps me feel better. My arm feels better, my body feels better. That's why I continue to wear the necklace. For me to go out there and win games every fifth day, I have to train hard. Besides that, I have to use every possible tool that I can to help my body feel better, and I feel that Phiten is one of those tools."
It would seem that today there is an accessory for everyone around Major League Baseball, and that goes beyond the playing field. On Friday, MLB announced that it and Pandora Jewelry have introduced a collection of Pandora charms with the logos of all 30 clubs, now available (or coming soon for a few clubs) at the MLB.com Shop. It's a big deal to those in the accessory industry, and the agreement marks the first sports licensing agreement for Pandora, a world-renowned brand based in Denmark that features high-quality, hand-finished charms at affordable prices.
Featured in the Shop now is a sterling silver Unforgettable Moments dangle that will be a popular item for holiday shoppers in coming weeks, and more MLB-themed offerings will be coming in 2014.
Country superstar Martina McBride is a Pandora spokesperson and knows the value of a good accessory like this newest baseball bling.
"Jewelry can really make or break an outfit," she said. "What jewelry you choose is really a personal statement, and Pandora, especially since it is so personal, can really change the whole mood of your outfit. . . The way I can customize the Pandora jewelry makes it really personal to me."
If you're looking to add completeness, convenience and attractiveness, the MLB.com Gift Guru has plenty of options to order now or add to your early wish list. Here are 11 of the best:
1. Cold Weather Shop: Put those urban-wear open-finger gloves away this winter and get a pair of Cardinals Magic Mountain Touch Screen Gloves, so you can stay warm and use your mobile device or tablet. Pay special attention to the new Kiowa knit caps and infinity scarves.
3. Game Time Watches: New styles just added.
4. Women's Handbags from Little Earth: There are plenty of styles, from the D-backs Hoodie Duffel to a Nationals Quilted Wristlet.
5. MLB team fragrances: The Red Sox may look scruffy with those beards, but they have their own official Men's Fragrance 3.4 fl oz Eau de Toilette.
6. Fine Jewelry from Alex Woo: If you want to be noticed, get the Astros Little MLB Necklace 14kt Yellow Gold.
7. Denco Luggage Shop: Tigers fans are doing some traveling now, and the best way is to bring along a 21-inch trolley piece that fits in overhead compartments and has the big "D" logo.
9. Alex & Ani Jewelry: For under $30, you can get a Brewers Team Color Beaded Expandable Wire Bangle and wear it anywhere.
11. Women's Jewelry from LogoArt: Just checked and found 13 individual pieces available to that A's fan looking to get over Game 5 and see all that was beautiful in 2013.