12/19/2013 1:20 A.M. ET
Hot Stove roundup: Rox-Tribe deal leads active day
Veteran Stubbs to patrol Coors Field outfield; Colorado parts with Outman
By Paul Casella / MLB.com
Wednesday marked another busy day on the Hot Stove, especially out West where the Rockies made a pair of deals as they continue to try to improve on back-to-back last-place finishes in the National League West.
Colorado on Wednesday landed outfielder Drew Stubbs in a trade with the Indians in exchange for left-handed pitcher Josh Outman. The Rox also acquired lefty Franklin Morales and right-handed reliever prospect Chris Martin from the Red Sox in exchange for infielder Jonathan Herrera.
While it was clearly a busy day for the Rockies, plenty of other teams either made, or are on the verge of making, moves of their own.
Here's a look at some of Wednesday's other news and notes from around the league:
• The Angels are reportedly closing in on a one-year deal with veteran Raul Ibanez. The 41-year-old designated hitter connected for 29 home runs and 65 RBIs for the Mariners last season. The Halos are also believed to be interested in Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, if he is made available, as well as free-agent righty Matt Garza.
• The Padres seemingly ended their search for a late-innings reliever, reportedly signing veteran Joaquin Benoit to a two-year deal. The deal is worth $15.5 million, including a $1.5 million buyout for 2016.
• The Braves gave manager Fredi Gonzalez some added flexibility with his lineup, acquiring catcher Ryan Doumit in a trade with the Twins for Minor League pitcher Sean Gilmartin. Doumit provides the Braves with a third catcher alongside Evan Gattis and Gerald Laird, as well as another option at first base or either corner-outfield position. Doumit could also provide some pop off the bench in a pinch-hitting role.
• Infielder Eric Chavez will reportedly return to the D-backs on a one-year contract. Chavez, who hit .281 with an .810 OPS after signing on as a free agent last season, will give the D-backs a left-handed bat off the bench, as well as a veteran backup to Paul Goldschmidt and Martin Prado at first base and third base, respectively.
• Houston continued its busy offseason, acquiring first baseman and outfielder Jesus Guzman in a trade with the Padres for infielder Ryan Jackson. Guzman will be given the chance to play first base for the Astros, while also providing manager Bo Porter with another outfield option. Jackson had been claimed off waivers from the Cardinals less than a month ago.
• The Mariners are reportedly showing continued interest in free agent Ervin Santana, according to Jon Morosi of FOX Sports. With David Price apparently out of Seattle's reach at this point, the club seems to be focusing its efforts on Santana for the time being.
The Mariners also added to their outfield depth by re-signing oft-injured outfielder Franklin Gutierrez to a one-year deal.