2/20/2014 11:16 A.M. ET
MLB.com Shop has all the styles for Opening Day
By Mark Newman / MLB.com
Out with the old, in with the new.
You hate to put it that way, but that's baseball. Like Derek Jeter said in his news conference on Wednesday, "You almost blink and it's 20 years later."
So here we are in 2014, focused on a new Spring Training at 30 camps, preparing to say our season-long goodbyes to the Yankee captain and hello to the rooks. Many fans even rushed to the MLB.com Shop to buy the same Authentic Triple Peak Convertible Gamer that Jeter wore as he spoke.
A supply of that Majestic Athletic item was down to one XL size after the event, and on Thursday it was restocked in all sizes. Take a look around the Shop, especially if you're among those returning to shopping action for the first time since the holiday madness, and you'll see the parallel there between what's happening on the field and in MLB merchandising.
It is always about out with the old and in with the new, whether it's the player who wears the gear or the type of gear that player wears. What goes on is the passion for baseball, handed down from parents to children and displayed in new ways for new generations.
Here are 14 examples of what's new at the MLB.com Shop in '14, and keep an eye out there as new arrivals will be ongoing before and after Opening Day:
1. Authentic Collection Team Favorite Color block fleece. Giving this one from Majestic Athletic top billing here because it's still on the cold side for most of us fans.
2. Robinson Cano No. 22 Batting Practice Jersey. The Mariners' new second baseman just started his first Spring Training workouts in Arizona, and it's also the first time he is wearing No. 22 in the Majors. All the new BP jerseys from Majestic Athletic are in, with even better breathability and comfort whether you're sweating through exhibition innings or just chill at home.
3. Wrigley Field 100th Anniversary. This celebration will last all season, and you can start commemorating the event now by watching the A&E Video 100 Years of Wrigley Field and putting an authentic Highland Mint Used Dirt Display on your desk.
4. Women's spring styles from Nike. The selection keeps expanding. That includes the Women's 2014 Authentic Collection Team Favorite Tee, and here's the men's version.
5. Caps. There are also eight new Authentic Collection Diamond Era BP caps and a new Authentic Collection Clubhouse 39THIRTY cap for all 30 teams.
6. All-Star Game merchandise. The Twins will be host to the 85th Midsummer Classic on July 15 at Target Field, so let the countdown begin. You can be part of the excitement now by ordering the same shirts, caps, collectibles and other items that fans will grab en masse when they flock to Minnesota that week.
7. Authentic Collection Dri-Fit Team Issue Legend Tee. Similar to the previous women's AC garment style, look for these on the fields of Arizona and Florida, and then in the stands this summer.
8. St. Patrick's Day gear. You know how Big Green always creeps up on you, and you are green with envy as fans at Spring Training are organized and wearing the best green jerseys and caps at games of March 17? This is your chance to be ahead of the game and order stuff now.
9. Topps Baseball Cards. Start opening those packs. It's a tradition.
10. AC Dri-Fit Training Short. Another new Nike look that will be seen around Spring Training, when your favorite players aren't wearing uniform pants, that is.
11. Knit caps. Still very much needed in many parts of North America.
12. Prince Fielder Name & Number Tee. It's time to get a load of the Rangers' new first baseman in No. 84 out in the Cactus League. And likewise, Ian Kinsler in a No. 3 for Detroit in the Grapefruit League.
13. Windspinners and Windchimes. Who wants plain metal pipes hanging from an ordinary windchime out back when you can do it up right? These new products from Woodstream are from the Home & Office section of the MLB.com Shop, and more new stuff is on the way.
14. Omar Infante Personalized Alternate 1 Cool Base Jersey. Will that No. 14 be a missing piece at second base to help the Royals back into the postseason at last? Will No. 14 Dan Haren be a missing piece for the Angels staff, and can No. 14 David Price return to Cy Young form?
It's time to fully appreciate No. 14 Paul Konerko in White Sox camp as well, in the twilight of a marvelous career for a first baseman who turns 38 on March 5. You can wear the same black BP jersey he will wear throughout camp in Arizona and then before each game this regular season.
Out with the old, in with the new, a fact of life never more obvious than in baseball.