Tri-Cape won the 10th Annual Softball Carpenter Cup defeating Jersey Shore 6-4 in the final game of the day. Tri-Cape first had to win the play-in game, a marathon 17-14 victory over Inter-Ac. They then had a decisive 11-3 win over undefeated Jersey Shore to force the if necessary game. This is Tri-Cape's first Championship. They were runner's up in last year's tournament.
The purpose of the Softball Carpenter Cup is to give the best high school players in the tri-state area the opportunity to showcase their talents in front of college scouts. The hope is that this tournament, like the baseball Carpenter Cup Classic, will be a catalyst for many players to receive scholarships or admission to some of the country's finest universities. The inaugural tournament was played in June of 2005 and Delaware South (Gold) claimed the first title.
1. There are 16 Softball Carpenter Cup franchises representing 17 leagues. They are:
2. Each franchise MUST have a 14-player roster. Franchises will have the opportunity to add up to three additional players to their roster that will act as floating alternates.
3. The method a team is selected is up to each individual franchise. The team can be selected using each leagues All-star team or via tryouts. However, no more than three girls may be selected from each high school.
4. All players must play a minimum of three full innings in the field and have at least one at bat. However, they do not have to play all three innings at the same position. The bottom of the seventh inning, whether it is played or not, will count as an inning.
5. Pitchers can pitch a maximum of four innings in a regulation game. If the game extends into extra innings, the inning cap is lifted.
1. The Softball Carpenter Cup Executive Committee will determine rules of play. Franchises will not be able to question rules or rulings made by the Committee at any time.
2. The tournament will be a double elimination tournament. This means that if, in the championship round, the team from the winners bracket loses to the team from the losers bracket, a deciding game must be played.
3. All games will be 7 innings and Federation rules will be followed. With the exception of the following:
4. The international tiebreaker is in effect if the game is tied after the seventh inning.
5. There is no mercy rule in the Carpenter Cup.
6. If a game is called because of rain or darkness and the home team is leading after four and a half innings or if the away team is leading after five innings the game will be considered a complete game.
7. If a game is called because of rain or darkness and four and a half or five innings, depending on who is leading, have not been played, the game will be considered suspended and resume at the point of suspension.
8. Penalty for Missing Players - Each franchise must carry and play 14 players in their games - 9 starters and 5 substitutes. Three floating alternates are also allowed to round out a 17 player overall roster Prior to every game, a team must make it known that it playing with less than 14 players. For every substitute less than the required 7, there will be a "ghost substitute" who is required to "play" three full offensive and defensive innings with at least one at-bat. If a team plays a game with less than 14 players, a penalty will be levied against the team in the form of an out for any at bats the missing player would have taken during her mandatory three innings in the field. This rule will relate to all defensive positions except the pitcher. A pitcher may not pitch for more than four innings in a given game. The only exception to this will be if a game goes into extra innings.
Home teams are displayed in italics.
|Monday, June 23|
|9:00 a.m. (Game 1)||Mercer County 5, SOL BAL 9||5|
|9:00 a.m. (Game 2)||Burlington County 11, Philadelphia Public 2||6|
|11:00 a.m. (Game 3)||Berks/LL 2, Lehigh Valley 0||5|
|11:00 a.m. (Game 4)||Delaware South 2, Jersey Shore 3||6|
|1:00 p.m. (Game 5)||SOL BAL 3, Burlington County 6||5|
|1:00 p.m. (Game 6)||Mercer County 10, Philadelphia Public 1||6|
|3:00 p.m. (Game 7)||Berks/LL 2, Jersey Shore 6||5|
|3:00 p.m. (Game 8)||Lehigh Valley 1, Delaware South 6||6|
|5:00 p.m. (Game 9)||Burlington County 6, Jersey Shore 11||5|
|5:00 p.m. (Game 10)||Mercer County 3, Delaware South 7||6|
|Tuesday, June 24|
|9:00 a.m. (Game 11)||Inter-Ac 7, Philadelphia Catholic 3||5|
|9:00 a.m. (Game 12)||Delaware County 0, Chester County 2||6|
|11:00 a.m. (Game 13)||Tri-Cape 4, Delaware North 7||5|
|11:00 a.m. (Game 14)||Mid-Penn 10, Olympic Colonial 2||6|
|1:00 p.m. (Game 15)||Inter-Ac 8, Chester County 6||5|
|1:00 p.m. (Game 16)||Philadelphia Catholic 2, Delaware County 16||6|
|3:00 p.m. (Game 17)||Delaware North 2, Mid-Penn 5||5|
|3:00 p.m. (Game 18)||Tri-Cape 14, Olympic Colonial 2||6|
|5:00 p.m. (Game 19)||Inter-Ac 9, Mid-Penn 8||5|
|5:00 p.m. (Game 20)||Delaware County 5, Tri-Cape 9||6|
|Wednesday, June 25|
|9:00 a.m. (Game 21)||SOL BAL 2, Berks LL 1||5|
|9:00 a.m. (Game 22)||Chester County 6, Delaware North 5 (8 Innings)||6|
|11:00 a.m. (Game 23)||SOL BAL 14, Chester County 7||5|
|11:00 a.m. (Game 24)||Delaware South 1, Tri Cape 4||6|
|1:00 p.m. (Game 25)||Jersey Shore 10, Inter-Ac 1||5|
|1:00 p.m. (Game 26)||Burlington County 3, Tri-Cape 6||6|
|3:00 p.m. (Game 27)||Mid-Penn 6, SOL BAL 10||5|
|5:00 p.m. (Game 28)||Tri-Cape 9, SOL BAL 8||5|
|Thursday, June 26|
|9:00 a.m. (Game 29)||Inter-Ac 14, Tri-Cape 17||5|
|11:00 a.m. (Game 30)||Jersey Shore 3, Tri-Cape 11||5|
|1:00 p.m. (Game 31)||Jersey Shore 4, Tri-Cape 6||5|
Rain Dates June 30 and July 1.
All games will be played at the Softball Fields in FDR Park.
For more information regarding the Softball Carpenter Cup, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 215.463.1000.