Wally Joyner - Hitting Coach #8
Enters his second season as the Tigers hitting coach after being named to the position on November 18, 2013.
• In his first season as the club's hitting coach in 2014, the Tigers led the American League in batting average, hits, doubles, RBI, on-base percentage and slugging percentage.
• Served as the hitting coach for the Philadelphia Phillies for one season before joining the Tigers...worked as the lead hitting instructor for MLB International elite-level development programs from 2009-12; coached players and instructors in Italy, Brazil and the Netherlands.
• Spent six seasons working in various capacities with the San Diego Padres including five seasons as the club's roving minor league instructor (2003-07), and parts of the 2007-2008 seasons as the team's hitting coach.
• Played 16 seasons at the major league level with the Angels (1986-91, 2001), royals (1992-95), Padres (1996-99) and Braves (2000).
• Elected the starting first baseman for the 1986 American League All-star team, and was co-winner of the Home run Derby with Darryl Strawberry. Finished second in voting for the 1986 American League Rookie of the Year Award to Jose Canseco.
• A 1980 graduate of redan High school (gA), where he was an all-county selection and four-year letterman in basketball...Also named the 1980 georgia High school Player of the Year in baseball.
• Participated in the Tigers Winter Carvan and TigerFest, actively participates in the Detroit Tigers Autographed Memorabilia Donation program and Autographs for a Cause (donates funds to Detroit Tigers Foundation), attended Keeping Kids in the game and the Annual Ilitch Charities Celebrity golf Classic.
• He and his wife, Lesley, reside in Mapleton, Utah during the offseason...the couple has four daughters: Jessica (10/16/83), McKenzie (3/3/85), Crosby (5/1/89) and Chase (1/23/91).