• Kuntz returns for his third year and second stint as Royals first base coach...he worked for three seasons in the same role from 2008-10 and returned to the position on August 4, 2012...he also works with the Royals' outfielders and baserunners.
• In between his stints as the team's first base coach, he served as the club's special assistant to the GM and the minor league outfield, bunting and baserunning coach since the end of the 2010 season until August 4, 2012.
• In 2013, the Royals led the Major Leagues with 153 stolen bases and ranked second in stolen base percentage (82.7%).
• Coached KC's outfield, which boasted Rawlings Gold Glove winner Alex Gordon, and Gold Glove finalist, Lorenzo Cain...Gordon tied for the MLB lead with 17 outfield assists, while the Royals' 40 as unit were third-most in the Major Leagues.
• Spent the 2003-07 seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates organization...joined the Pirates as the first base coach at the Major League level for the 2003-05 seasons before working as a coach between the Pirates and Triple-A Indianapolis in 2006 and 2007.
• Kuntz also worked as a first base coach for the Florida Marlins (1995-96 and 1999-2000) and the Seattle Mariners (1989-92).
• Kuntz spent the final two months of the 2002 season as a roving instructor with the Atlanta Braves.
• Joined the Florida organization in 1993 and worked as the club's minor league outfield/baserunning coordinator from 1993-94, 1997-98 and 2001.
• After ending his playing career, he worked as the Houston Astros minor league baserunning and outfield instructor from 1987-88.
• Originally selected by the Chicago White Sox in the 11th round of the 1977 June Draft.
• Played seven seasons in the Majors with the White Sox (1979-83), Twins (1983) and Tigers (1984-85), hitting .236 with five home runs and 38 RBI in 277 games.
• Was a member of the 1984 World Series Champion Detroit Tigers, delivering the game-winning RBI in the fifth and deciding game of the World Series with a seventh-inning sacrifice fly.
• Rusty and his wife, Salli, have one son, Kevin, and reside in Stillwell, Kan...Kevin was drafted by the Royals in the 28th round of the 2013 MLB First-Year Player Draft and played for Burlington (R) last season.
• Graduated from Paso Robles (Calif.) High and attended Cuesta College in San Luis Obispo, Calif., and California State College (Stanislaus), where he was a member of Cal State's Division III World Series Championship teams in 1976 and 1977.