- Former Giants hurler embarks on his 12th season as part of the Giants' coaching staff in 2014, again filling role as the club's bullpen coach.
- Has assisted pitching coach Dave Righetti during his first 11 seasons as a big league coach.
- Enjoyed a successful 13-year career as a ML pitcher, culminating in six-year stay in San Francisco that saw him become one of club's most popular and inspirational players...right-hander posted lifetime 99-93 mark with one save and a 4.56 ERA in 345 games (275 starts) for Montreal (1989-92), Kansas City (1993), Florida (1994-95) and Giants (1996-2001).
- Notched double-digit victories in four of six SF campaigns (1996-98 and 2000), logging 58-45 mark with 4.71 ERA in 175 games (147 starts) in a Giants uniform...also reached 10-win plateau with Montreal in 1992.
- Made 112 starts for the Giants from 1996-99, with only John Burkett (157) making more starts for SF during the 1990's...was the first Giant pitcher to reach double digits in wins for three straight seasons (1996-98) since Burkett did it four-consecutive years (1990-93).
- Pitched a 9-inning no-hitter July 26, 1991 at Los Angeles while with Montreal, but gave up two hits in the 10th.
- Originally came to SF after signing as free agent at the end of 1996 Spring Training and emerged as the club's winningest pitcher that season.
- Was voted by his Giants teammates, coaches and training staff as co-winner (with Benito Santiago) of the 2001 "Willie Mac" Award, given to the most inspirational player on the team.
PERSONAL & MISCELLANEOUS
- Married (Kerry Steitz, Jan. 19, 2008)...has two sons (Nicholas, Sept. 24, 1992 and Daniel Dean, May 30, 1995).
- Graduated from Clovis (CA) High School.
- Attended Fresno (CA) City College and Fresno State University.
- Played for the U.S. team during tour of Cuba in fall of 1984.
- Has been very involved, along with late wife, Lori, with California Organ Donor Network, working with that organization and Stanford Medical Center in raising awareness of the need for organ and tissue donors.
- Lori and Mark also created Step to the Plate Foundation, which helps families of transplant recipients.
- Donates money to Garth Brooks' Teammates for Kids Foundation, supports California's Responsible Fatherhood Campaign with special visits and other work.