• Former Giants hurler embarks on his 15th season as part of the Giants' coaching staff in 2017, again filling the role as the club's bullpen coach.
• Has assisted pitching coach Dave Righetti during his first 14 seasons as a big league coach.
• Married (Kerry Steitz, Jan. 19, 2008)…has two sons (Nicholas, Sept. 24, 1992 and Daniel Dean, May 30, 1995).
• Graduated from Clovis (CA) High School.
• Attended Fresno (CA) City College and Fresno State University.
• Played for the U.S. team during tour of Cuba in fall of 1984.
• Has been very involved, along with late wife, Lori, with California Organ Donor Network, working with that organization and Stanford Medical Center in raising awareness of the need for organ and tissue donors.
• Lori and Mark also created Step to the Plate Foundation, which helps families of transplant recipients.
• Donates money to Garth Brooks' Teammates for Kids Foundation, supports California's Responsible Fatherhood Campaign with special visits and other work.